Basement Install Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

basswidow

Minister of Fire
Oct 17, 2008
Milton GA
I currently have a woodstove that takes care of heating my main and upper floors.

I am considering finishing the basement and I'd like to put a pellet stove in.

Half of the basement concrete walls are below grade and the front half is above grade, without windows or a walkout. I'd love to cut in a door - that would certainly make finishing the basement a breeze.

My question is about running a flue for the pellet stove. What options are there for running a flue out of a basement? Would you recommend placing it in a location near the above grade wall and drilling a hole through the concrete basement wall to daylight the flue?

The only other option is between the floor joists and out through the sill plate and band but this is tight and close to combustibles. The dryer is vented this way. I guess there is a 3rd option of bringing it through the floor with a thimble to the main level and then 90 it out a wall thimble and boxing it in a chase?

Through the concrete seems the easiest and safest way to go.

Just wondering what others have done in similar situations?

Id go thru the concrete. It's easy to do and safe. Just make sure you get that cap a few feet above grade outside

mine is vented through the band board. with simpson pellet pro pipe it is only 1 inch to combustables. going through block is relativaly easy. Coring through a poured wall is a different story.....

Yeah, I'd have to see what the local code is now and how far I've got to bring it up on the outside.

My ideal location sadly runs out underneath my front wrap around porch. But it's high enough off the ground to walk under. Front deck, back deck, and drive way - takes up all but 1 side wall of my basement on the outside. The remaining wall is the wall that is below grade and not an ideal spot inside to place the stove. Might be more trouble then it's worth.

could be concrete block? it dont specify

My XXV is a basement install. We went up and out through the poured concrete foundation.
As Franks mentioned, if you go this route be sure to check that you will have enough
ground clearance outside to meet requirements for the vent cap.

Status
Not open for further replies.