Basement Install - stove damage/harm?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Young_Buck

Jan 19, 2013
Vermont
Hello everyone,

Thanks to everyone for their advice thus far. I'm still looking around and researching various wood stoves; currently looking at the PE Summit, Nap 1900 or possibly a NC-30 or large Drolet stove. I'm wondering if I buy a new steel stove and put it in my partially finished basement, will it cause damage (rust?) to the stove before I get a chance to finish the basement off entirely? Our basement is not that damp, but I would hate to invest in a new stove and have it become all rusty after only a seasons worth of use. A de-humidifier might help?

Thanks for your input.

-YB

if the humidity level is high enough where your asking this before buying the stove sounds like you should be more worried about mold and other allergens, get a dehumidifer going either way

If other steel is rusting down there now then this is a possibility. As tekguy noted, a dehumidifier would help prevent this problem.

I guess you could always do the old task of greasing the stove when not in use..

Damp rid and blocking outside air access can help. Just write yourself a note and put it on the stove to remind you to clear the stovepipe before use. Any kind of coating will smell when it burns off when you first start using the stove again.
A small fan blowing at the stove should prevent surface rust.

Plug the flue at the end of the season to prevent warm, moist air from coming into contact with the cool stove and condensing.

My 30 hasn't seen a bit of rust (exterior is what I am guessing your talking about). Going on season 3 and looks better than new. I have a dehumidifier. But have not ran it in almost 2 yrs. I keep 2 out of the 4 small windows open during the summer (4" tall x 12" wide?).

If your basement is damp already, it may? But there are steps and precautions you can take to avoid it.

Thanks everyone. I think the suggestion about blocking/plugging the flue during the warmer months (after the heating season is over of course!) makes a lot of sense.

I think I will invest in a dehumidifier. We don't have problems with mold, mildew in our basement, but it cannot hurt.

Now I just need to decide on a new stove....:)

Thanks again,

-YB

Good luck Young Buck! It looks like you have a bit of work in front of you. Besides looking at stove styles and models make sure you research how you will place it in your basement and how it will heat your home, to include pipe runs and heat loss etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.