basement install - vent question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jmart

Aug 2, 2011
central Maine
good morning,
This is my 1st post ever/anywhere,--here goes!

I'm about to install my new Harman xxv in my soon to be finished den downstairs. It is a raised ranch with 4' below grade and 4' above.

I'm using 4" vent even though its length is below 15' ( 3" to 4" tee/clean-out--- 4' vertical--- elbow--- and 2' horizontal). I may add a deck in the future, requiring me to extend it above the roof-line.

I'd appreciate comments on these 2 points:

* I do not want to look at 4' of flexible outside air pipe so my plan is to install it within the new insulated wall I'm building.

* Is it fine to install 7' of 2 3/8" outside air pipe now and switch to 3" later if needed ? or will the stove like it better
with the 3" from the start?

Great forum! Jerry.

Not really answering your question, but I would extend it above the roofline now, you will be happy to have the extra draft incase of power failure or wind. Also, make sure to install an OAK (outside air kit).

go with the 3" from the "get go" on the intake. 2 3/8" is an odd size anyways. Intake flex in the wall will be fine too.

oh, nice post for a first timer, and welcome to the show.

hello sinnian,
I do plan for outside air. As for extending the vertical vent another 14' above the roof-line, I thought it shouldn't be necessary at this time. Thanks, Jerry.

thanks Delta-T,
I just re-read my post and your answer is so obvious now.
If I use the smaller flex hose, I would definitely limit my options later. I feel kinda foolish!

off topic--I'm wondering why I need to refresh my browser to see current postings.
I imagine I'll figure it all out in time.

thanks again, Jerry.

jmart said:
off topic--I'm wondering why I need to refresh my browser to see current postings.
I imagine I'll figure it all out in time.......

That's just the way this (and many other forum software) works.

Oh, BTW, welcome to the forum. Don't forget that we need to see pics of finished installs, or "it really didn't happen". :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.