Basement installation - Heatilator or Harmon

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vtktm802

Aug 29, 2015
Vt
Hello all, heating season is near us and thinking again about replacing my Jotul #8
with a lightly used p61 or a new ps50 heatilator. I understand pellet heat will be a
different heat. My question is with a small raised ranch @ less then 1200 sq ft., do
I really need the p61 0r would the ps 50 heatilator do the job. House is in good shape
and basement does not have finished ceilings, some sheet rocked walls. My gut
feeling says get the Harmon which I can get for $ 1,800 or do I go new with the
ps50 for about the same cost?, Thanks in Vt

Go big or go home ;). Love my P61a (bought new) and my P43 (bought slightly used).

Don't know anything about the Heatilator, but my thought is that you can simmer a P61, but it is really tough to get more heat out of a stove that doesn't have the capacity to do so.

Go big or go home ;). Love my P61a (bought new) and my P43 (bought slightly used).

Don't know anything about the Heatilator, but my thought is that you can simmer a P61, but it is really tough to get more heat out of a stove that doesn't have the capacity to do so.

I second what Bogieb said! I too have a P-61 Harman. It will do any and all things you ask of it. From Bic lighter output, to blow torch. Will burn darn near any pellet made. Parts are readily available. And the knowledge on this forum will keep it running smoothly.

Reactions: bogieb
How old is the p61? Have you verified that it is functioning normally? Actual burn vs. test mode

PS Usually better to have more heat capability than you actually need...

Reactions: bogieb
Hello all, heating season is near us and thinking again about replacing my Jotul #8
with a lightly used p61 or a new ps50 heatilator. I understand pellet heat will be a
different heat. My question is with a small raised ranch @ less then 1200 sq ft., do
I really need the p61 0r would the ps 50 heatilator do the job. House is in good shape
and basement does not have finished ceilings, some sheet rocked walls. My gut
feeling says get the Harmon which I can get for $ 1,800 or do I go new with the
ps50 for about the same cost?, Thanks in Vt

Hard to go wrong with either. I've had Cab50's and PS50's, super easy and simple to keep running. Can be bought used on CL for $500, igniters are only $25 on ebay, uses Quadrafire parts...Simple on/off operation via thermostat and 3 selectable heat settings. I could usually keep mine running for 4 days on low without dropping clinker. After doing so I'd just scoop hot embers back into burn pot, throw pellets on top and keep fire going without using igniter, real simple. Would be nice to rig it up to automatically change heat settings instead of just on/off operation, i know it can be done just don't have time at the moment.

P61A is an awesome stove too, amazing amount of heat and more flexible with run modes compared to Quad based 3 or 4 heat setting type stoves. Parts are reasonable and easy to obtain. Just make sure auger tip has not eroded and check auger tube for wear/thinning/holes at 5 to 7 pm position. Auger is a easy fix, tube not so easy.

Good luck hunting.

Status
Not open for further replies.