Basement Installation!!?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Irish916

Aug 17, 2011
Eastern PA, Southern Poconos
Ok, I'm only a few weeks in with our 52i installed in our living room and I'm seriously considering looking at installing a P-68 in the basement. I wanted to get feedback from folks that have done this before. My basement is a large open finished space. Approximately 1,300 square feet. I have a drop ceiling installed, which is about 7.5 feet from the floor. The basement is entirely below grade around the perimeter of the house, save for some bilco steps. Can something like a P-68 be installed in this type of setting? If so, how would it be vented? Would I have to go up through the drop ceiling and out through the rim joist to vent? If I did that, my vent pipe would be approximately 10-12 inches off the ground outside. I would probably need to 90 up a few feet and then terminate, right? Anyone have one installed in their basement?

My P61A is in the basement with up & out venting. We're into the side of a hill, so I have the 18" ground clearance.
You can either go up/out/up, or install a window well below your cap...

I can't speak to your stove, but my Englander 25-PVDP is in the basemenmt. I was 'lucky' and had an outside wall where I happened to want to put it. Core-boring a 6" hole through 10" of poured concrete was no fun. If you have earth outside the wall where you want to put it, then your only choice for the vent and OAK are likely 'up and out'. Once outside (in our area), the vent outlet (and air intake, I think) need to be at least 3' above grade, and at least hmmm I forget .. 3' I think , from an 'operational' window.

I don't blame you. Except for thee benefit of having the heat source closer to where you want to use it ... I can't imagine having the fine ash and dust in the living room .. even with a proper ash vacuum. Mine, at least, is one dirty animal (and I'm constantly cleaning it). That and my wife and I are both asthmatic. In the basement it stays!

You'll need to consider getting the pellet supply to it, as well.

I'm not much help, but wondering why you need that big of stove down there if you have the insert upstairs?
Not sure I do although I'd like to have more than I need than not enough. I'm open to other options. With the insert on upstairs, the central heat doesn't run. The basement is very cold. That free-standing stove would be the only heat source down there(as long as the heat pump remains off )

My Drolet Eco 65 is in the basement and has ducting going upstairs, so nearly all of the heat is output to the ducts and it can keep my 1200 sqft, uninsulated basement at 70 on the lowest setting. I could be wrong, but I would think you could get away with a much smaller stove if all you are heating is the basement. I guess it would be nice to have as a backup if the insert was down.

You already bought one pace heater,and are thinking about installing another.When you figure in elc. labor and other costs,is it worth it?

Reactions: Pellet-King
For the cost's involved you could be heating your house for many year's on what central heating system you have, you Sir have some deep pocket's
Oil's cheap, NG is dirt cheap....why?

The P68 would be a lot of stove for that space in my opinion unless you are planning on melting paint off of the walls.;) It will work but it's more expensive and I think slightly overkill unless you want the option to try to do your upstairs with it also but that can get tricky depending on your layout, floor plan, an how open you house is. Are your walls down there insulated behind the drywall or finish? If so a P43 is what I would choose. You already have the insert up stairs too.

I am doing two levels and 2,350 SQ FT with tons of big windows and glass doors everywhere along with high vaulted ceilings in over half of the house. My P68 pretty easily keeps it warm everywhere without any trouble. There is a thousand dollar price difference between the P68 and the P43. A P43 would handle it well and also supplement the upper level depending on your set up.

As for venting it would make sense to go up and out in a joist space thru the band board / rim board. Look up the height you need for the exhaust clearance. I believe it is two feet above the ground. This could be done a couple of ways. You say the dirt line is 10" to 12" down. What is out there where you are thinking of going out? Grass? Landscaping?

Once outside you could turn 90 degrees up and then go up what you need to. Keep in mind the more elbows and distance the bigger 4" vent and expense. Another idea and why I'm asking what is outside there is a creative option and less vent pipe. Could you dig down another 12" to 14" to get that 2 foot clearance and line it with pavers or rock and such to dress it up and tie into the existing landscape or yard? Just a thought. Depending on how many elbows you might be at 4" venting to begin with anyway. You would have a 90* up at the stove and another 90* just to get out with approx. 8 ft. of pipe going up and then whatever length to get out.

So yes, you can install a stove in your finished lower level without much trouble. All ya have to do is get things sized up and figured out. Then the hard part is getting your wallet out again. I am now looking at another Harman for another area of my place. It's bigger than the 2,350 SQ FT two story main house core we are currently doing. I am likely going with the P43 for that. Soon to be pellet stove poor! :eek: But very warm, cozy, and happy........:p

Reactions: Irish916
Also the digging down could create a debris and leaf catching area you would have to keep cleaned out. So do you want to dig or spend more on pipe?

For the cost's involved you could be heating your house for many year's on what central heating system you have, you Sir have some deep pocket's
Because the heat pump is electric and I pay mini-bar prices for electricity where I live. Once you get to freezing, the heat pump loses all efficiency. In the basement, it's worse because the hot air rises out and the cold air falls to the basement. There is no basement zone on the heat pump. So if I'm running the insert to heat the main floor, no heat will ever come on in the basement. Now, do I continue to try to heat that space with an electric space heater (which can't keep up), install elelectric baseboard heaters or go pellet?

I also have newer central HVC very high efficiency heat pump. I don't care what anyone says. They SUCK for heat! Worthless almost once the temps drop. Not too bad until it stays below 40 or so degrees. At that point you are paying big money to remain miserably chilled. My experience anyway and I have an upper end Carrier system.

Electric heat is costly so I'm avoiding it at all costs. It's OK when it's 50 to 60 outside and your almost too lazy to click the stat switch.

I personally think you are on the cost effectiveness for heat output when considering another pellet stove for down there. The least expensive would be a wood stove and you cutting your own wood. Then you will be owned by it feeding it around the clock but it is an option. You would also be into issues with a stack for it.

I also have newer central HVC very high efficiency heat pump. I don't care what anyone says. They SUCK for heat! Worthless almost once the temps drop. Not too bad until it stays below 40 or so degrees. At that point you are paying big money to remain miserably chilled. My experience anyway and I have an upper end Carrier system.

Electric heat is costly so I'm avoiding it at all costs. It's OK when it's 50 to 60 outside and your almost too lazy to click the stat switch.

I personally think you are on the cost effectiveness for heat output when considering another pellet stove for down there. The least expensive would be a wood stove and you cutting your own wood. Then you will be owned by it feeding it around the clock but it is an option. You would also be into issues with a stack for it.
Likewise. We installed a high efficiency Lennox system two years ago. When it gets down below freezing, it literally runs all night long. We are paying several hundred a month for elelectricity with the house thermostat set at 68. I don't have a NG option, even though the northeast pipeline is less than a mile from my house.. Propane is obscenely priced and oil would require a full tank installation. So its electric, coal or wood. Now coal would be the best. But I don't want to stock coal and pellet in the house. I wouldn't have the space. I'm already buying pellet, why not just get another unit? p68 might be overkill. Maybe the p43. What other options exist?

Propane isn't cheap (around hear) and there is no NG. Many people don't have oil or access to NG, so another stove is counted as a cheaper option.

Plus, the OP could get a used pellet stove (since he won't be relying on it as primary heat) and thus save a bunch of the upfront price.

In that situation not many other options do exist.. I am in the same boat with no NG here so that leaves Elect, oil, propane, wood, coal, and pellet. An electric space heater? I have also been looking for used stoves around here but what I am finding is a bunch of over priced headaches someone else wants rid of.

You could get a new less expensive pellet stove and pay in other ways. Your decision there. I think you bought your first Harman for a reason. Same here.

I appreciate the tips from everyone. I've included a few pics of my basement for ideas. I'm thinking a free standing stove on the far wall (first image with the two outlets on the far wall) could heat the space fairly evenly since it's open.

Attachments

• pic 1.jpg
    pic 1.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 184
  • pic 2.jpg
    pic 2.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 185
  • pic 3.jpg
    pic 3.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 188
  • pic 4.jpg
    pic 4.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 180
Last edited:
I have a CAB50 in my basement and it heats 2 levels at 2000 sqf and I paid $1,299 for it. Runs on low and basement is 75::F.

Got tired of reading posts trying to talk you out of a second stove, so I may have missed this...Any chance that you could vent up thru the main floor and thru the roof? Is this a ranch house? If these questions were already answered, abuse me accordingly.

Got tired of reading posts trying to talk you out of a second stove, so I may have missed this...Any chance that you could vent up thru the main floor and thru the roof? Is this a ranch house? If these questions were already answered, abuse me accordingly.
Interesting.. That wasn't suggested. I guess that would be an option, but wouldn't all that piping add a significant amount to the cost? I could well under the pipe outlet on the outside of the house, but I think I'm going to have to go 90 degrees up and vent. I'm curious how I could install an OAK with that setup? Would I have two pipes running up the back of the stove to the ceiling. That might not work from an aesthetic standpoint.

I have a CAB50 in my basement and it heats 2 levels at 2000 sqf and I paid $1,299 for it. Runs on low and basement is 75::F.
WOW, that sounds like a great deal. That big CAB50 has a huge hopper. Once you fill the hopper, how long before you have to refill that monster at 75 degrees? Day or two?

Another suggestion - mine is run thru a window. I see you have one on the wall you were talking about. If you aren't real attached to the window, that would be a great place for the stove - especially with such an open space (assuming there aren't other restrictions on the outside of the wall).

Dang, I'll bet your basement is bigger than my whole house - including garage! [jealous]

Interesting.. That wasn't suggested. I guess that would be an option, but wouldn't all that piping add a significant amount to the cost? I could well under the pipe outlet on the outside of the house, but I think I'm going to have to go 90 degrees up and vent. I'm curious how I could install an OAK with that setup? Would I have two pipes running up the back of the stove to the ceiling. That might not work from an aesthetic standpoint.

I would run the OAK out the wall. I am concerned about the height of the stack above grade going out the wall. Depending on the footage, if could get pricey. May need to use 4". Anyhow, your tossing around thousands on alternative heat, figured you should at least price it out.

I filled it up 2 nights ago 3 bags and will need to fill it tonight. Set on medium and fuel rod closed 75::F in basement

Status
Not open for further replies.