Basement installation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dakota Dude Paul

Jan 22, 2016
Wyoming
I recently purchased a house and there was a pellet stove in the basement with a 4" pipe going out the wall up a chimney. I would like to put a wood stove in it's place but I also want to tear the chimney down and put my pipe for the new stove out the roof. Is it possible to put a pipe through the floor of the upper level and vent out the ceiling or do I need to leave the chimney and vent there?

Is it possible to put a pipe through the floor of the upper level and vent out the ceiling or do I need to leave the chimney and vent there?
It would have to be chimney pipe but yes it is possible if you use the right materials. Is there something wrong with the chimney structure that would make you want to tear it down

It would have to be chimney pipe but yes it is possible if you use the right materials. Is there something wrong with the chimney structure that would make you want to tear it down
It is pulling away from the house and I don't want to take the time and money to rebuild it. Thanks!

Keeping the chimney inside the house envelope will keep the flue gases hotter. It is always a good idea if possible. No need to tear down the old chimney unless it is a problem. If it is, remove it.

Yes, as long has the proper support and firestops are used and the chimney is chased. It will need 2" clearances from any combustible.

Screen Shot 2016-01-22 at 4.32.26 PM.png

It is pulling away from the house and I don't want to take the time and money to rebuild it. Thanks!
well that is a good reason.

Keeping the chimney inside the house envelope will keep the flue gases hotter. It is always a good idea if possible.
I agree it is a little better as far as heat goes but if it is properly insulated an outside chimney will work just fine. But going out through the wall to a tee is not the best

So, exposed chimney pipe, unprotected by brick or rock is ok going through the floor and attic?
It needs to be enclosed in any living space and all or the proper shields and pass thrus are used it is fine.

For a basement installation I'd prefer the warmer interior chimney to reduce the possibility of backdraft. Cold exterior chimneys in a potential negative pressure zone can be a pain.

In a basement installation I would prefer a warmer interior chimney to reduce the possibility of backdraft. Cold exterior chimneys in a potential negative pressure zone can be a pain.
I don't disagree with you it is better without a doubt. But if the chimney structure was sound i would not think it would be worth changing it because that type of setup can work very well also. But it is a moot point in this case

Any reason to not have the stove in the living areas instead of the basement?

You would cut one less hole thru the joint and have the stove heating the house better.

...and i am going to cut a vent with an inline fan in it to pull heat upstairs as well.
To be effective, safe and proper this will require planning and code knowledge. There may be a need for a return grille as well and both may need fusible-link dampers.

Status
Not open for further replies.