Basement Sprayfoam Quote

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably depends on other details like capillary break to foundation (or none) and dryability to outside (depends on exterior finish, and can change with the next homeowner).

Why take a chance....rotted sills and rims = game over for a house.

I'm totally no expert, but would closed cell foam be better there?
Also, what huge, fantastic space, I can't see why you wouldn't want to insulate the walls instead of the ceiling, especially if you have some finishing plans.

I had my basement rim joists foamed last fall. If I remember correctly the closed cell is more expensive but has more r value per inch and better sealing properties.

When i get home tonight i will try to get you pictures of my basement remodel. Spray foamed the exterior walls and the cavity betweer the exterior and the celing joist.
The rest of the celing has Roxul doubled up, I actually think your supposed to use roxul for fire code, but i did it for sound my master bed room is on the first floor.

Here is something about spray foam quotes you should look into, do they haul off the excess material. I waqs shocked to come home to 45 garbage bags of sawed off foam. Guess I didnt read the contract. I love it , the basement is quiet and warm. I paid $2000 for about 1000 sqr ft area.

ps i used to have mice in the basement, i have heard they hate the smell of the spray foam.

When I had my rim joists done they took all the trash with them when the job was done. To me it seems unprofessional that they didn't take that with them or at least mention it to you before the job.

As for mice. I vaccumed all of the dust/mice poop from the basement before I had my rim joists foamed. That was last December. Since then I have not noticed any droppings or found any carcasses.

By the way $2000 sounds about right. I only had the rim joists done in a typical 2400 sq. foot New England colonial and it cost $840.

Status
Not open for further replies.