Basement stove for 1st floor heat - remove insulation?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bales9er

Sep 6, 2013
We moved into our house 2 years ago and inherited a nice harman stove with it. However, the stove is located in the basement and is used to heat the first floor (basement door is a half door to allow heat to come up stairwell) which has worked quite well but there is insulation below the subfloor which I'm wondering if I should remove or not. Will it make much of a difference in heating the floor above or am I better off just leaving it?

Last edited:
Insulation in the basement ceiling has but one purpose,to PREVENT heat flow thru the floor. in your case you WANT heat flow thru the floor. I also have a basement stove and it also happens to be a harman. But my basement is mostly finished so the primary way the heat get into the upper floors is through a floor vent In your case if your floor joists are exposed and there were no insulation your upstairs floors would stay nice and warm with a fire going in th e harman. The room directly above my stove has exposed floor joists and the floor stays about 90 Deg.

I removed the insulation and sheet rock from my basement when we installed the wood stove. To be honest it only warmed the floors a bit more. We wound up using floor vents and ducts fans. Careful the code in your area may not allow floor vents. Fire stops or vents that close when high heat is present might pass code though.

Interesting thought about the fans...we have 2 registers in the floor above the stove but both seem to serve as cold air returns rather than circulating the hot air. Maybe I can try removing the insulation and installing 1 fan to help distribute the heat

I use floor vents and fans to distribute the heat up 3 floors in a 3000 total SQ Ft house.(1000sq fT perfloor) With the fans my basement is 85 second floor 75 third floor 68-70. WIthout the fans the heat difference would be intolerable, perhaps 90+ basement 68- 70 second floor and 60 third floor (just a guess) 2 small floor vents above the stove and 1 larger floor vent in the the opposite end of the house.

you can cut in a floor vent and install this will help pull the hot air from the basement and circulate the heat.
http://www.amazon.com/Suncourt-HC500-W-Flush-Fit-Booster/dp/B001WT6S5Y/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1378590375&sr=8-2&keywords=floor vent fan

better check local code first!

floors are firebreaks, cutting vents in them allows fire to transit between floors much faster.

personally i wouldn't do it. i'd rather look for a spot on the ground floor where i could locate the Harman to heat the living space. or look for another unit to install up in the living space.

quite simply, heat where ya live.

Reactions: DexterDay
better check local code first!

floors are firebreaks, cutting vents in them allows fire to transit between floors much faster.

personally i wouldn't do it. i'd rather look for a spot on the ground floor where i could locate the Harman to heat the living space. or look for another unit to install up in the living space.

quite simply, heat where ya live.
Yep. Why not put the stove where the heat is needed?

There is plenty of pipe if its downstairs. So move upstairs and be happy as a pig in a blanket :cool:

If yur basement is finished,it IS your living space. Plus it gets too hot that close to the stove. Stove room is 95.

Problem with the stove on the second floor is, then theres no heat in the finished basement.If you think its hard to get heat to go up, try getting it to go down!!

The basement is unfinished where the stove is located but we do have a rec room adjacent to it which we block off the doorway to when we arent using it. Thought about moving the stove upstairs but as others mentioned, the stove room would end up being our living room and i dont want it 80+ degrees in there, nevermind the added noise

Status
Not open for further replies.