Basement temps when burning 24/7 upstairs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shari

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Oct 31, 2008
Wisconsin
We hope to burn 24/7 as much as possible but I am concerned about our plumbing pipes freezing in the basement. Does anyone have any ideas for a thermometer placed in the heated living space to keep an eye on basement temps?

Shari
(lovin' my Oslo!)

I use a wireless indoor/outdoor thermometer. It can use up to 3 wireless remotes. I keep one in each of the kids rooms, one in the basement and the unit is in the fire room. Works perfect! I have had it for years, no problems at all. The one I have is older and not made anymore but here is the site to the company and a similar model. http://www2.oregonscientific.com/ca...r-with-Self-Setting-Atomic-Clock---Black.html

I burn about 80+% of the time but I run my oil fired FHW furnace at least once or twice a day especially when it's in the teens. I shut the furnace off overnight and turn it on first thing in the morning. I run it until it gets to 65* then either shut it down for the day or let it cycle on its set points - I have an electronic 7 day thermostat. Once I get the stove fire going for the day the furnace usually never comes on again. I preset the cycles to run at 65* max during our at home hours and 60* when not at home so it won't fire unless it gets below 60*.

Shari,

We have the same problem, actually a little more serious since we burn upstairs and our bedrooms are downstairs. We have been using the wireless themometers like the others suggested, but it's still a pain to rig the heat pump to come on, then watch the temperture downstairs to turn it off. Also, we have to remember to close all the heat registers upstairs.

We have been thinking about this for a while. The complete solution is go to a two-zone system, which involves duct work. More short-term solution is to move the themostat (or add another) for the heat pump downstairs, which we are looking into right now.

My basement is pretty cold when heating exclusively with the stove (upstairs). The thermometer I keep there said 42 °F this morning. Upstairs temp was 68 °F .
Outside was about 10 °F . Considering the cinder block sides are basically the same temp as the dirt outside, I think it would be pretty hard to get much below freezing down there. Pipes are pressurized & along the ceiling--which helps too. As a precaution, I did put some pipe insulation--the kind typically used to keep hot water hot--along both the hot & cold where the pipes are against an outside wall.
Also, I know there is a product that works with hot water & forced air heating units that you can schedule to cycle on for say 10 min. an hour to circulate heat around the house. Sorry, I don't remember the name of it, but it was posted on this site from a trade show as the "innovation/product of the year." Maybe someone else remembers the name.

Shari since the little lady moved our thermostat far from the stove the furnace kicks on at least once a day. Haven't had a pipe freeze up since then.

We also have our pipes covered with that pipe insulation that come in 3ft sections. Pipes here will usually freeze up first at the elbows so take special care with them. Also 2 small areas require a few bales of straw on the outside of the foundation ...just for insurance.

Like your son it's set on 66, but being 24/7 burners you're only heating the difference between 66-75/80. That's easy on the wallet for the short time it's on.

A remote thermometer, ideally one with a temp alarm can be a good solution. It doesn't hurt to cycle the heating system once in a while, it's good for it. Depending on the system, a remote thermostat and zone for the basement can make this automatic and may provide warmer floors.

I have not had any issues. Basement stays at about 50 to 55F.

I heat with wood 24/7 and turned my furnace off years ago I'm not sure it still works
My pipes are exposed in my block basement .
I don't freeze up until the out side temps get to - 14 If i leave my sink dripping it doesn't freeze up .
My clothes washer lines freezes but only where the pipe are strapped to the wall.
If it gets real cold we run the washer and dryer.
John

stays above 45 in our walk out.

Our basement seems to always be around 50F maybe down to 45 at might. Our basement is about 4 feet below grade. Mind you, we have a 100+ year hold house with fieldstone foundation and at least 3 really old windows which are drafty. I think 50 is reasonable under these circumstances.

my basement is about 45 on the cold days. I dont go down there much so its fine as long as its above freezing.

I used to worry about frozen pipes . . . not so much any more. When we get a few days of extended sub-zero weather I will run the boiler to heat the pipes up in the basement/crawl space . . . but honestly the ground temp tends to keep things warm enough down there . . . I'm not sure of the exact temp, but it's never been below freezing down there.

My below grade basement has been staying around 55-60F regardless of whether we are burning or not. Boiler pipes are all heavily insulated so it doesn't waste much heat down there when we are using it.

unless your basement is above grade I wouldn't worry. The times in previous homes that I have had frozen pipe issues were always with pipes run in exterior walls (not a good idea in the first place)... never in a basement.

~Jeremy

I open up the filter door on the furnace, then run the blower. It ends up pushing cold basement air upstairs, and pulling air from upstairs down to the basement. It's not toasty down there, but the circulation sure helps. When we need the basement to be really warm, I close all the registers upstairs, and jack up the thermostat. We've got a walkout, and the guest bedroom is down there. Our furnace rarely runs otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.