Basement vs. Living room for wood insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
emt1581 said:
daleeper said:
emt1581 said:
Den said:
Freestanding stove in the living room. No fireplace required. Hearth gate to keep baby at bay.

If there's no second flue in this chimney it won't work. We'd need to build a second pipe (no way she'll go for that look) or another chimney which we can't afford.

If there is a second flue, then yes, that's what I'd prefer a stove.

Thanks!

-Emt1581

After reading your responses to these posts, and re-reading your first, budget is important here. In your first post, you mentioned that for a few thousand, a fireplace could be added to the living room upstairs (which is apparently what your wife wants). I would question what kind of fireplace could be added for a few thousand that will be of any quality compared to a wood stove install at the same cost. It could possibly be a heat loss situation instead of heat gain if a cheap inefficient fireplace is installed.

Most of the high-efficiency zero clearance fireplaces will cost more than a few thousand by the time they are installed. You need to know what fireplace they would be installing before you can make a good decision on that aspect, it could cost more than you think in the long run.

You might be better off just installing the insert downstairs and see what it will do for you. Then if you are not satisfied do the stove or fireplace upstairs when you can afford to do it right.

I've thought about that. Cost-wise.

Initially I'm betting we'll start downstairs. And if you look at the pics, a stove isn't possible with the small size of that hearth, and if we do go with something upstairs it'd almost have to be a stove because I can afford a hearth...I can't afford more than a few grand for a fireplace.

One thing I was going to ask is if these are that easy to transfer? That is, say we get an insert in the basement and it doesn't do much to heat upstairs, can we rip it out and put it in a living room fireplace (if we did figure out a way to afford one)?

Lots of homework to do yet though.

Thanks!

-Emt1581

Transferring would depend on both the insert and fireplace installed. In fact, you would need to check with your downstairs fireplace you now have to make sure it will allow an insert to be installed in it, but it does look like an insert would be your best option in the basement. Some of the older prefabricated fireplaces do not have the structural integrity to handle the insert weight, and sometimes opening clearances can be a problem.

A stove is very transferable. But it doesn't make a lot of sense to build a new fireplace just to house an insert. It would be much cheaper to put in a new hearth with a new freestanding stove, especially if the stove only needed a simple non-combustible surface for the hearth.

If you like the idea of a stove, don't be constrained by the current, basement hearth. That hearth can be extended or a freestanding stove can be placed on the floor in front of the current hearth.

Den said:
Pellet is 4". Wood stove is 6". . .some 8".

Most modern wood stoves are 6" pipe, some pellet stoves are 3".

emt1581 said:
oldspark said:
Nice house, put the stove in the basement and stay down there.

I agree. But she doesn't like the idea of going up and down the steps to a common area. Plus that's already been claimed as my man cave for multiple reasons.

My main concern is that upper level. I suppose we can snuggle, but otherwise, and without using the cable/radiating heat in the ceilings (which is going to drive up the electric bill) ...there's going to be almost no heat getting upstairs from the basement.

-Emt1581
If I had a man cave like that I would just heat that and let the rest of the family fend for them selves. :lol:

:lol: LOL :lol:

oldspark said:
emt1581 said:
oldspark said:
Nice house, put the stove in the basement and stay down there.

I agree. But she doesn't like the idea of going up and down the steps to a common area. Plus that's already been claimed as my man cave for multiple reasons.

My main concern is that upper level. I suppose we can snuggle, but otherwise, and without using the cable/radiating heat in the ceilings (which is going to drive up the electric bill) ...there's going to be almost no heat getting upstairs from the basement.

-Emt1581
If I had a man cave like that I would just heat that and let the rest of the family fend for them selves. :lol:

Now THERE'S an idea!!! Me and Frank (my GSD) can chill (or warm up) downstairs and she can fend for herself. Then again she has a circulatory issue so that would be pretty painful if I shut off the controls/heat up there.

-Emt1581

emt1581 said:
Den said:
I'm not following the 2nd flue requirement. Does that mean
Well without a second flue we could only use the basement fireplace on that chimney. Now it was mentioned about sealing off from the basement and using it up on the main level but then that means the basement fireplace would be non-function which doesn't sit well with me considering it's potential.-Emt1581
Well, if you're going to be stubborn about it, there's not much point in the 'Basement vs. Living Room' question. :p

Yes, I'm posting from a not-so-smart phone. If I don't click on 'submit' within ~ 90 sec, I lose my posting. If I want to post a longer msg, I have to do so with several edits. Doh! I missed your reply to my flue question because posted pics mess up my br0wser. . .when I try to view the last page of the thread, I get the last pic posted instead of the last msg. Is there a pic showing your chimney to have only a single flue, or are we still playing 'What if?'

Den said:
emt1581 said:
Den said:
I'm not following the 2nd flue requirement. Does that mean
Well without a second flue we could only use the basement fireplace on that chimney. Now it was mentioned about sealing off from the basement and using it up on the main level but then that means the basement fireplace would be non-function which doesn't sit well with me considering it's potential.-Emt1581
Well, if you're going to be stubborn about it, there's not much point in the 'Basement vs. Living Room' question. :p

Oh I'm not being stuborn. I really appreciate all the help everyone's given me. It's just that I started this thread not knowing what the differences were between floors and such...now I have my answer, some homework to do, and I'll be able to make a more informed decision.

THANKS!!:)

-Emt1581

You'll lose the Man-cave as soon as your wife finds out how toasty that stove makes it. Trust me, they're all sisters, brotha!

btuser said:
You'll lose the Man-cave as soon as your wife finds out how toasty that stove makes it. Trust me, they're all sisters, brotha!

Naaaahhh, "wood sistahs" would put a wood stove on the main floor, and be done with it ;-)

I would've lost my exclusive claim to that "man cave" just as soon as I tried to stake it. I never would have tried, anyway...it's too nice a space not to share with those I love...or even occasionally with some I don't love so much. My label for it wouldn't be "man cave", it'd be "family room". It's a great space, in which lots of good times can be had...even if (or especially if) it's co-ed. But, hey, that's just me (er...us). Rick

btuser said:

What I'd like to do is stock the bar (you can see it with those lovely bright orange stools), put a nice flat screen and some comfy furniture down there and some other goodies I won't mention here...and have my own retreat. If we put a hot tub in out on/next to the covered porch...all the better!

-Emt1581

Turn off the heat upstairs and you'll be retreating to the wood shed. :)

Another thought would be where the combustion air is going to come from. Stoves/inserts in the basement usually have to compete with one or more fossil-burning appliances. Things can go really, really wrong.

My plan would be for the wood stove for basement family room and a gas fireplace (which can be direct vented and easily done) for the living room. Natural gas is cheap (cheaper than cordwood in my area), and you wouldn't have to lug/store the wood upstairs.

Nah, I wouldn't really do that. But I gotta work on getting her turned on to the idea/look of a wood stove. It really does seem like our smartest bet, especially for the main level.

I do have backups out the wazoo though due to her circulatory condition. I've got 2 large Budddy heaters with an adapter for the 20lb tanks and a LOT of propane on hand! I've got a bunch of space heaters and a generator to power them. I've got hand warmers, heater blankets, a bag full of instant heat packs...and the list goes on. It's safe to say she'll NEVER have to be cold. ;)

-Emt1581

BeGreen said:

Things could be worse.

Attachments

• cave.jpg
    cave.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 302
btuser said:
Another thought would be where the combustion air is going to come from. Stoves/inserts in the basement usually have to compete with one or more fossil-burning appliances. Things can go really, really wrong.

My plan would be for the wood stove for basement family room and a gas fireplace (which can be direct vented and easily done) for the living room. Natural gas is cheap (cheaper than cordwood in my area), and you wouldn't have to lug/store the wood upstairs.

Read my earlier post on what the gas company said....they can go pound sand as far as I'm concerned.

I'm not understanding what you mean though. There's ZERO other "fossil fueled" devices in the house. Water heater and ALL appliances are electric. I just bought a riding mower tonight and I have a snow blower but those are out in the garage. So I'm not sure where you were going or what you meant with the fossil fuel comment.

Thanks!

-Emt1581

The first cold day you have that woodstove or insert cooking, she will be convinced. Hard to beat wood heat.

BeGreen said:
The first cold day you have that woodstove or insert cooking, she will be convinced. Hard to beat wood heat.

That's a good point. Off topic but what's a good price to pay for a cord? It's been over 10 years since my dad bought a cord so I have no clue. Is it dependent upon the area?

Thanks!

-Emt1581

fossil said:
BeGreen said:

Things could be worse.

WOW!!! Add a .223 instead of that lever gun and that would be the PERFECT man-cave!!!

-Emt1581

emt1581 said:
btuser said:

Read my earlier post on what the gas company said....they can go pound sand as far as I'm concerned.

I'm not understanding what you mean though. There's ZERO other "fossil fueled" devices in the house. Water heater and ALL appliances are electric. I just bought a riding mower tonight and I have a snow blower but those are out in the garage. So I'm not sure where you were going or what you meant with the fossil fuel comment.

Thanks!

-Emt1581

He meant other appliances competing for combustion air. Keep on reading about basement installations and you will see what was meant. In your case, it might just be a clothes dryer and maybe a bathroom fan? Don't worry about it until you know it's an issue.

emt1581 said:
fossil said:
BeGreen said:

Things could be worse.

WOW!!! Add a .223 instead of that lever gun and that would be the PERFECT man-cave!!!

-Emt1581

Till winter rolls around.

BeGreen said:
emt1581 said:
btuser said:

Thanks!

-Emt1581

He meant other appliances competing for combustion air. Keep on reading about basement installations and you will see what was meant. In your case, it might just be a clothes dryer and maybe a bathroom fan? Don't worry about it until you know it's an issue.

Ohhh ok. Yeah there'll be a clothes dryer and a bathroom fan in the basement and a few fans on each other level. I've never heard of this before. I'm still not understanding the risk/problem though...

-Emt1581

Status
Not open for further replies.