1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Basement vs. Living room for wood insert?

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by emt1581, Jul 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emt1581

emt1581 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    PA
    That wasn't political. We can go there if you want though. But I took what you said to mean "mind your manners and/or be greatful", to which I guess I should have replied.... Pfffft.

-Emt1581

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. DeePee

DeePee Member

Loc:
    Mississauga, Ontario
    I can hardly wait until this thread is available on BluRay.
  3. emt1581

emt1581 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    PA
    I got the boot leg copy already. PM me if interested. :)

-Emt1581
  4. DeePee

DeePee Member

Loc:
    Mississauga, Ontario
    Spoilers? Did you end up with a stove or insert; basement or living room?
  5. emt1581

emt1581 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    PA
    At this point the stove idea is dead for the living room, the fireplace in the basement is getting measured for an insert, and the insert bought for that fireplace isn't going to be installed but rather kept until such time that it's found NOT to fit in the (future) fireplace to be built in the living room. Bet you didn't see that ending coming... ;)

BTW, this thread is just the tip of the iceberg. I mean it really was helpful in getting me started but now we have to figure out models, finishes, BTU's, etc. So I'll probably do another month or two of researching tween here, the local stores and online before picking one out.

-Emt1581
  6. ddddddden

ddddddden Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Va
    I agree that we need better than SNAFU, but the reality is that we're not going to get out of the mess we're in by cutting taxes and running everything into the ground. That said, this is the Hearth room. Buy 2 stoves and get the full $. It has been scientifically proven that burning trees saves the planet. I don't see how a stove could negatively affect resale value by more than the $100 you might have to pay to have it hauled away if you were unable to sell it. Building a fireplace for an insert. . . might as well put the $ into a masonry heater. www.vermontwoodstove.com If an insert boosts resale, a masonry heater would send it through the roof. :)
  7. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Hope you'll be providing free therapy to balance out forum karma.
  8. emt1581

emt1581 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    PA
    Did I say something earlier in the thread about therapy or did you catch something I wrote last night before the edit?? ;)

-Emt1581
  9. DeePee

DeePee Member

Loc:
    Mississauga, Ontario
    Its like the forum knows about that one time we threw a split in the fire and it sizzled.
  10. emt1581

emt1581 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    PA
    Of course tax increases are a necessary evil sometimes, but watch what happens and see if "increase" is the appropriate word you'd use for it.

As far as getting out of the mess we're in...God only knows.... but it should be one hell of a show either way!! Pray for the best and prepare for the worst.

-Emt1581
  11. daleeper

daleeper Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NC MO
    I'm confused now. Are we talking about 2 different inserts, or are you buying an insert to fit the basement fireplace, but not installing it, in the hopes that it will fit the living room future fireplace?

My head hurts, where do I sign up for that therapy?
  12. emt1581

emt1581 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    PA
    Where did this idea of therapy show up in the thread??

-Emt1581
  13. begreen

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Inserts are designed to fit in a wide variety of fireplaces. As long as the cavity is within the range of design, the insert will fit. Download some insert manuals to learn more about this. The idea of building a new fireplace just to move an assumed existing insert is what makes my head hurt.

Frankly, the idea of building a new fireplace just to fit the insert seems a bit silly when a freestanding stove is likely to do a better job of heating, without needing power. If having a fireplace is paramount, then why not install a modern, high efficiency epa zero-clearance unit? It will cost less and will do a good job.
  14. emt1581

emt1581 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    PA
    See post 191.

-Emt1581
  15. begreen

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    I don't buy that premise as applicable to a well done installation with a quality stove.
  16. daleeper

Loc:
    NC MO
    Not sure where this therapy business came from but somebody needs it (not sure who).

I just have real difficulty thinking someone with a limited budget and wants to heat a house would even consider installing a brick fireplace, plan to install an insert later, and expect either to heat a house with any efficiency. In fact, that brick fireplace by itself will most likely have a negative impact on heating the house, and the insert is a compromise. Either get a high efficiency epa listed zero clearance fireplace that has a look that pleases the wife, or a real epa listed wood stove. Forget anything about a brick laid fireplace and an insert in the living room upstairs.
  17. emt1581

emt1581 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    PA
    Thanks!

-Emt1581
  18. emt1581

emt1581 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    PA
    I think a lot has to do with area as well as individual buyers. However, when it comes to JUST looks... I would agree that a stove with a large black pipe being seen is less appealing than a semi/flush insert that looks minimally different from a regular fireplace.

As far as efficiency goes, I think a stove is a far better choice. I'm going to do more homework and have my realtor do more homework on this though.

Thanks!

-Emt1581
  19. daleeper

Loc:
    NC MO
    Sorry that I was so blunt with the above statements.

I did assume that you had a limited budget and did not consider that it was short term while making the real estate transactions, but I am still a practical person, and it pains me to watch someone spend thousands of dollars laying a brick fireplace that will be a net heat loss unit, when there are other options available that look nice, heat well, and could be less expensive to install, and because budget is not a long term issue, the sky is the limit on what you can do there, evidently.

Yes, installing the stove/fireplace in the living room is clearly more efficient than trying to heat from the basement, but only if the unit is efficient. Ask yourself why inserts were invented, and do a search on heating with a fireplace, and you will find that a common fireplace is not efficient at all, and in fact the fireplace chimney can and usually is a source of heat loss. Why spend money to install a fireplace that will be a heat loss, when you can install something that will put out heat?
  20. emt1581

emt1581 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    PA
    No need to apologize.

As I said though, I need to do what's most cost effective in terms of resale, not necessarily long term use. When we build, I will definitely go with a stove.

-Emt1581
  21. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    A full masonry fireplace is gonna start at twenty grand. You ain't gonna do it so considering it is just wasted key strokes.
  22. emt1581

emt1581 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    PA
    How do you know?

I'll also add that I've spoken to a few people and your numbers seem a bit high. But this house is an investment in the grand scheme of things. So long as I'll reap the benefits of something when I go to sell, and I can afford the upgrade, I'll go ahead and do it.

-Emt1581
  23. ddddddden

Loc:
    Central Va
  24. emt1581

emt1581 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    PA
    I appreciate the link. They seem morbid to me, like having an incinerator/crematorium in my living room. Just my opinion mind you.

Thanks!

-Emt1581
  25. ddddddden

Loc:
    Central Va
    Well, I think it's clear that you want what you want, regardless of functionality. . .which is fine, but I also think that your "resale" justification is flimsy. I seriously doubt that a fireplace is going to incrdease the resale value by as much as it cost to build.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.