Basement Wood Storage - POLL - Do you do it?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Do you store your burning wood inside your basement in the winter?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

stee6043

Minister of Fire
Aug 22, 2008
West Michigan
Inspired by another recent post regarding basement storage of wood I thought I'd create this poll.

I personally thought more folks would say "no way" to storing wood in the basement. But it sounds like a fair number of users here do store wood inside their homes.

For the purpose of this poll let's consider a "yes" response to mean storing anything more than a few days worth of wood in your basement at a time. To me, two weeks worth is still a lot of wood to have inside.

We do, but our storage area is unique. Beneath the 4 car garage is a 7' x 16' X 22' space totally surrounded by concrete. If the bugs can get out of the wood and chew through cement, more power to 'em.

I do too but I only bring in dry wood and I dont bring it in til Im ready to start burning. I bought a large plastic bin on craigslist, it looks like a giant milk crate, its about 4' x 4' x 3' high so I can fit quite a bit of wood in it, it contains the mess.
I had masssave in last winter for an energy audit and the guy told me I shouldnt store wood in the basement, I told him just what I said above, he split a piece of my wood and measured the mc and I think it was 15%, so he said I guess its ok but dont store wet wood.

I don't at my current home because it would be inconvenient but at my previous home I had a walk garage in the basement with a wood furnace in the other half of the basement and I would stack it full in the fall but it was well seasoned and dry when I put it in there and never a problem.Also burned a lot of pallets in that thing

most definitely.

seasoned wood only. 2 cords at a time.
wouldn't have it any other way.

Don't do it, no space. 90% of my basement is finished, it's a "in use" basement. Keep the wood in the shed outdoors and bring in 2-3 days worth of wood at a time.

Andrew

nope. wood sits outside, dare i say it , uncovered from when it comes home to when the ash is spreaad around the yard.

Yep. About 3 cords of seasoned wood right next to the furnace. I have never had a problem with bugs but I do sprinkle seven dust on the floor before I bring the wood in and I also try to bring the wood in after the first hard freeze.

Attachments

• PC050060.jpg
    PC050060.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 1,246
So I store a week's worth in the basement but no more than that - so I would click yes?

Also, I think it is important to note, as others have, that the wood needs to be dry. Any wood I bring into the house has been split and stacked for at least a year.

And seven dust I believe is referring to a pesticide called seven.

If I had a stove in the basement and it was a walkout I would consider it. No walkout and no basement install so really no reason.

I voted yes, but it's short term (week or 2 worth) storage. No bug problems.

Well so far this is going almost as expected. 2:1 towards outdoor only. Too soon to call it though. I look forward to seeing more responses!

My guess is it will be the more expeirenced people who bring wood inside as if done correctly it will not be a problem but newer burners will be leary of the bug propaganda.

oldspark said:
My guess is it will be the more expeirenced people who bring wood inside as if done correctly it will not be a problem but newer burners will be leary of the bug propaganda.

Or perhaps it's the older folks with poorer eyesight who can't really see the bugs in the house to begin with? ha.

"Never seen a single bug"..."Had a bat problem one year, but no bugs"..."Ants are just added BTU's"

Nope, never in the basement, adding to the fire danger is not worth the risk. We have people in our town living in log cabins with cellars full of nice dry, ready to burn fire wood. And they have been doing it successfully for twenty years or more. But you know if a fire starts in that house it's probably toast. Hopefully they have Co and smoke alarms and they have fresh batteries. Fires today double in size every minute, why add to the fireload. Same goes for those homeowners that load their porches and decks with nice dry wood; convenient yes, dangerous, oh ya. Be safe.
Ed

oldspark said:

Ha. Only joking with you, Spark! I figured you might chuckle...

I put a small load of good dry wood and hot burning stuff - locust in our unfinished basement. We have a dehumidifier there but in the winter it doesnt run much as its very dry in there. I dont know about putting cords of wood in the basement but enough to cover the coldest month of Jan seems to work for me. As far as bugs we have spiders and stuff down there anyhow. I just make sure that the stuff isnt loaded with ants and such before bringing in. Makes it easy when we have a couple feet of snow and its - 15 outside

rdust said:
If I had a stove in the basement and it was a walkout I would consider it. No walkout and no basement install so really no reason.

Just mentioning - if some don't have their wood burning appliance in the basement (so naturally wouldn't have much desire to have wood in the basement anyway), and are voting no, it might skew the results a bit.

My appliance and wood are in my basement.

maple1 said:
Just mentioning - if some don't have their wood burning appliance in the basement (so naturally wouldn't have much desire to have wood in the basement anyway), and are voting no, it might skew the results a bit.

Good point. Polls are always suspect to me... or at least the ones that are, you might say, less than scientifically engineered.

I am a basement-storage woodburner, have been for 21 years here, and proud of it. ;-)

Yup, I have a walkout basement and a real hot running stove heating the place from there. Don't take long to figure out you can get a couple cords of wood dry in there in about three weeks time and never have a bug or humidity problem. Those who don't burn this way can't understand because it wouldn't really work in a cold, damp basement. Plus, what would be the point in loading and stacking 4-5 cord of wood down in the basement, then carrying it up again an armful at a time? It's only ideal in the right circumstances.

Even so, looks like a 40/60 split, so plenty of folks are doing it... without all the problems that are predicted by those who never have and never would. :cheese:

I store about my 3 cords in my basement. Its a very dry environment and frankly the moisture of the wood is helpful in my house. I keep the basement windows open from about early May till sometime in October or so anyway.

I lay down a mess of those bug trap/poison things that ants take back to their nests and spray the wood piles with an indoor rated insecticide spary as the stuff comes in. To date I have not experienced any insect issues of which I am aware.

Yes, but it is KD pallets so little chance of bugs. During burning season I will bring in a few days worth in some plastic bins.

Battenkiller said:
maple1 said:

Plus, what would be the point in loading and stacking 4-5 cord of wood down in the basement, then carrying it up again an armful at a time? It's only ideal in the right circumstances.

precisely.
that's my son's job !

Status
Not open for further replies.