Basement Wood Stove and "Thermal Mass" of concrete walls

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
velvetfoot said:
Nobody's talked of the floor. Does it pay to do something there? I'm thinking maybe an inch of foam board and something on top...

True 'dat. If you're looking to use the concrete in the basement as a thermal mass, whether for "passive solar" or "underground or earth-bermed" construction, the important this is to insulate the concrete on the outside. That includes the outside of the walls, underneath the floor slab, and even underneath and around the footers.

Corie said:
When I was learning heat transfer I found the easiest way to understand everything was just to equate it all to electricity. In reality, the two are so similar is silly!
It's actually amazing how many things can be pretty accurately reduced to circuit equivalents...

Status
Not open for further replies.