Basement woodstove heating garage?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

waltsacura

Nov 7, 2014
philly
So. Recently purchased a house that has a woodstove in the basement with a 6' x4' hood over the woodstove that catches the heat. Previous owner plumbed in a 6" duct with an in line axial fax to move hot air into the return on the HVAC system. Heat is all electric and I have access to wood, so it's been nice to not have to turn the "heat" on so far this year.

I recently insulated the garage on the opposite side of the house and have been looking to install a propane heater up there. The basement gets hot from the fireplace and I'm thinking about piping some more of the heat across the basement and into the garage through a vent.

I'm thinking a 6" pipe (insulated?) running roughly 40 feet across the basement ceiling to a vent I'll put going into the garage with an in line fan pushing hot air into the garage from the fireplace. Will need to use a few feet of flex pipe, but it's a fairly straight run.

Something like this http://www.homedepot.com/p/VENTS-37...In-Line-Exhaust-Duct-Fan-TT-PRO-150/204817105

Looking for some guidance. Is this a decent idea or should I keep looking towards the propane heater for the garage?

Bad idea. Letting air come in from the garage to the living space is a code violation. Look into a sealed combustion reznor type heater for the garage. Or if you have electric capacity in your panel a small electric greenhouse type heater.

I'd suggest you spend some time searching the hearth room for terms like "moving the heat". There have been many posts there on this subject.
In general most find it most effective to move cold air to the stove rather than hot air away from it.
Seige's point is a good one. Creating any sort of airflow between garage and house is generally a bad idea.

beside there will have to be two pipe runs supply and return or any heated air going to the garage will come in thru drafts in the house and cool the house off. at that point you can buy a heater fairly cheap at northern tool

Status
Not open for further replies.