Basement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tjcole50

Minister of Fire
Oct 5, 2013
Ohio
I know nothing of pellet stoves and was entertaining the idea of one in the basement. It would be used strictly to maintain a 65 degree temp in the basement. My walls have 1" foam under drywall. I have a secondary through wall terra cotta thimble for a wood stove. Can i vent into this? Does a pellet stove require a full liner to the 30 ft roof top? Or do they burn clean enough to cap that thimble and into it? Maintaining 60-65 how long would a bag of pellets last? Thanks

Someone else will likely chime in regarding the venting options, but as far as keeping your basement at 65...no problem. Our lower level (finished basement) is around 800 sq ft and the stove not only keeps it cozy, but also helps maintain the main floor living area - there's an open stairwell that leads upstairs. We run our stove on the lowest setting and basement will stay around 70 using one bag per day.

I like the ability to store pellets without fear of bugs n such in the basement so its another option im exploring

The bagged pellet storage vs. wood is very nice, easy, and clean comparatively speaking. Even if you bust a bag open accidentally. There are some who tie into existing chimneys here without issues so it can be done but others have had issues. Results vary. It is ideal ti run a liner all the way up but why IF you do not have too?

Use the search bar above and plug in venting a pellet stove thru existing chimney. This has been discussed many times here. A lot depends on your chimney condition and maintaining a good draw etc. It has and can be done. Where are you in OH?

I am heating 2350 SQ FT on two floors with only one pellet stove. Just heating a basement should be easily done and many here are doing that and more. Since your basement is finished and has some insulation you are ahead of the game already.

Also put your stove make and model in your signature box so people here know what you have and can offer advice knowing what you are running. Good Luck!

Also put your stove make and model in your signature box so people here know what you have and can offer advice knowing what you are running. Good Luck!

Bags has a lot of good advise, but I think he is still looking and researching.

I have a basement dweller that was installed while the sills were still very leaky and no insulation on the 3 cinder block walls (4th wall abuts the garage so is insulated and sheet rocked). It would keep the basement warm nicely, but had to work hard to keep those walls warm. I installed 1" rigid foam on probably 2/3 of the walls (but not directly behind stove or within the clearance of area required) and covered that with foil reflectant. I also stuffed insulation in the sills and now it hardly has to work at all. Oh yeah, and the floor is just the original poured concrete, so it isn't insulated.

The basement dweller (P61a) is way oversized for my space at 650 sq/ft, but it was originally intended to keep my whole house warm. That didn't work because of my specific circumstances so I now also have a P43 on the main floor. If I had it to do over again, I would go with a P43 in the basement too since it isn't very efficient for the basement stove to idle 70% of the time.

Just make sure that the stove you get is rated for a bit over what your basement square footage is. It is easier to get less heat out of it than get more heat. And, you might find that it helps heat upper floor.

Yes we have some space only 1/2 the basement is finished the back half is storage and utility room. Sounds like it would be nice to load it set it and forget it for a couple days if possible. Do the englander pellet stoves auto ignite and maintain a room temp? Or is that strictly a feature found on more expensive stoves

Englander just introduced a new model with 120lb hopper and digital controls so all one has to do is fill, turn on and set what temp you would like. Would be a near perfect basement dweller IMO

Englander just introduced a new model with 120lb hopper and digital controls so all one has to do is fill, turn on and set what temp you would like. Would be a near perfect basement dweller IMO
btu's?

I can't find the Btu rating on AM/FM Energy site. 55-TRSSP01, 1399.00

Reactions: Pete Zahria
No comment.

Would a 120lb hopper burn for 24 hours on a medium setting? Soujs really nice if we leave for extended periods to set the pellet and go and allow it and propane work together while the stove takes a break

Status
Not open for further replies.