Basic Pellet Stove Questions: Harman XXV

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lightyear

Dec 24, 2010
Maryland
Me again! :)

I have learned a great deal here from you all and I am truly thankful for all of the input and research you have provided me. I have some questions and would love some answers...

1. How do I determine the year of my stove's manufact.... I bought a floor model this Dec. and feel it is an 08, which I think I should have gotten a discount on.
2. I am confused by the feed rate statements in another post. Do I want to keep it on a 3 or a 4 and stay away from a 2. I put it down to a 2 at night and during day when we are in bed and at work. I feel I have gone through more lately than when I first started. Seems like more than a bag a day...
3. I have power pellets now, are they good, can I get a better brand/deal. I paid $229 for a ton.
4. What should the ash in the tray look like? The area after it is burned but not the "ash tray" or burn pot? Sometimes I have clumps, other times it is loose. What should it be like?
5. Anyone with experience have pics of the above they can post so I can have a visual?
6. Can I dump my ash (while wearing gloves) in a bigger metal trash can while the stove is still on and running, or do I need it to cool down? I know I need it to be cool before I vacuum, but not sure about the dumping while running...

THANK YOU FOR YOUR RESPONSES. You don't have to respond to them all if you want to just answer a few of my ??? thanks!

lightyear said:
Me again! :)

I have learned a great deal here from you all and I am truly thankful for all of the input and research you have provided me. I have some questions and would love some answers...

1. How do I determine the year of my stove's manufact.... I bought a floor model this Dec. and feel it is an 08, which I think I should have gotten a discount on.

Find the rating plate. It should have both the year & the month it was manufactured

2. I am confused by the feed rate statements in another post. Do I want to keep it on a 3 or a 4 and stay away from a 2. I put it down to a 2 at night and during day when we are in bed and at work. I feel I have gone through more lately than when I first started. Seems like more than a bag a day...

Set the feed at 3. watch how it burns. Do you have about 1" of ash at the front of the burnpot? Once you have it set, you don't need to adjust it unless you change pellet brands...

3. I have power pellets now, are they good, can I get a better brand/deal. I paid $229 for a ton.

Don't know. Never heard of em. What do YOU think about them?

4. What should the ash in the tray look like? The area after it is burned but not the "ash tray" or burn pot? Sometimes I have clumps, other times it is loose. What should it be like?

Some times you'll get clumps, mostly just ash. Like I said above, it should be about an inch back from the front edge of the burnpot...

5. Anyone with experience have pics of the above they can post so I can have a visual?

There are plenty of pics in here. You'll just hafta search for em...

6. Can I dump my ash (while wearing gloves) in a bigger metal trash can while the stove is still on and running, or do I need it to cool down? I know I need it to be cool before I vacuum, but not sure about the dumping while running...

You can do that, but why would you want to? If your ash pan is full & needs dumping, it's time to give that beast a top to bottom cleaning anyway, so ya mizewell let it go out.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR RESPONSES. You don't have to respond to them all if you want to just answer a few of my ??? thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.