basic woodshed plans?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tickbitty

Minister of Fire
Feb 21, 2008
VA
I have seen many nice woodsheds posted on here. I know many of them are pretty basic, and what we need is QUITE basic, so we should be able to figure something out. BUT... I still wonder, does anyone have any plans, with a materials list kind of thing, to help us out? I see brackets etc that some use to attach the timbers, wondering what those are and if they are readily available or what they are called. We just haven't done this kind of thing before so I was hoping to find it spelled out for me a bit.

One would think that this would be something where there would be some really basic stuff to be found on the internet, but there's so much commercial stuff out there that it is really hard to find what I'm looking for. There's a very in-depth "mother earth news" article online, but with no illustrations... etc.

Well, consulting with our very helpful neighbor, we've decided to instead add a woodshed bay (8 X 16') onto the side of our concrete block "shed." So, we won't really be in need of these plans, although, if someone has some I'm sure the suggestions or discussion might help in terms of the materials and details!
(And surely others will use them in the future - so if you want to respond bring it on!)

tickbitty said:
Well, consulting with our very helpful neighbor, we've decided to instead add a woodshed bay (8 X 16') onto the side of our concrete block "shed." So, we won't really be in need of these plans, although, if someone has some I'm sure the suggestions or discussion might help in terms of the materials and details!
(And surely others will use them in the future - so if you want to respond bring it on!)

Not sure how you'll be attaching the woodshed to the concrete block building ( A picture of the building would help), but here is a basic materials list that would get you started.
Two ; 10 ft. treated 4x4 post to support the beam
Two ; 16 ft. 2x10 for the beam
Nine ; 8 ft. 2x6 (you could go 10 ft. if you want a 2 ft. overhang on your shed) for the rafters
One ; 16 ft. 2x6 for the fascia (The end of the rafters)
3 ; pounds of 3" decking screws (I like to screw everything)

The rest depends on whether you want walls or not, will you be cementing the post in, and what kind of roofing you want to put on top.

Status
Not open for further replies.