bass wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

4 cords

Aug 31, 2008
central ct
Need some help , a friend called and said he had a tree down from a storm told me I can take it- asked what flavor? he said bass wood . Im in Ct. if that helps Anyway is it worth the time? - how is it for btu or just get another load of pallets? thanks

I charge to remove Basswood, low btu for the work, but if you need wood grab it. Decent shoulder season wood. A C

A guy I know said that there's nothing better than basswood for wood carving. FWIW.

Basswood is soft (good for carving) and light (low density = low btu per cord). However, per pound it is the same as any wood, it just takes more volume to make a pound. I'd go get the tree to help a friend and so as not to discourage him from calling me next time an oak falls in the yard. The nice thing about lower density trees is that they are usually easy to cut and split, and the wood dries fast.

Gark said:
A guy I know said that there's nothing better than basswood for wood carving. FWIW.

Ditto! A good friend of mine does carving for a living these days, and he ONLY uses Basswood because it is so soft. I'd suspect it would burn up in a New York Minute, in my stove.

-Soupy1957

I'd charge for my time... It is light as poplar... not as dirty/barky but not a lot of heat.

Good for woodworking. Bad for heating. I'd pass.

Wood Duck said:
Basswood is soft (good for carving) and light (low density = low btu per cord). However, per pound it is the same as any wood, it just takes more volume to make a pound. I'd go get the tree to help a friend and so as not to discourage him from calling me next time an oak falls in the yard. The nice thing about lower density trees is that they are usually easy to cut and split, and the wood dries fast.

Agreed. Good post Wood Duck.

Also, I'd take the bass before the pallet.

I'm an equal opportunity burner . . . I don't discriminate. If it is a tree, I'll burn it.

Basswood is pretty low on the desirable scale. However, if you need wood, as Wood Duck said it is very easy to cut, split and it will season quickly. Good for shoulder season burning or for use as kindling.

The best bit of advice though is to take it to help a friend . . . and he should remember you in the future when he needs that black locust, oak, white ash, etc. to be removed from his property.

Status
Not open for further replies.