basswood report...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CowboyAndy

Feb 29, 2008
Chateaugay, NY
so most of you know my major mess up this year... cutting basswood thinking it was ash. I started the season with about 5 1/2 cords of it. so far i have burned basswood exclusively during the day, and I've gone through about 2 cords (started burning mid September). at night i mix 30% basswood and 70% maple, cherry and white birch smaller rounds left over from last year.

btw at this time last year i had gone through almost 3 cords of still wet maple and cherry. thankfully the weather is on my side as its been mild, and if it had been colder id be worse off than i am now. its a blessing.

the only downfalls with the basswood is when its warmer, i have to start new fires more often because it leaves barely any coals... and when i burn i have to watch it close because it burns so HOT, i have to be real careful about how much i put in depending on the outside temp.

oh, and it smells bad too.

but i dont regret cutting all that basswood, it was hardly any work!

Well Andy if you had a parlor stove you'd enjoy it more as a very good shoulder season wood. But iirc you're stove is in the cellar so yeah it can be a nuisance to keep it going cause with no coals you have to stay on top of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.