Basswood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

711mhw

Feeling the Heat
Dec 7, 2010
Western ME
Heard it used to be used for carving decoys, and for tongue depressors, but no commercial value anymore, not even for bio chips. Now I've never carved anything but maybe a pipe years ago (school days) , but my wife needed a bust for staging some of the jewelery stuff that she makes for photo's. It's been plenty rainy and I cut some basswood to try in the boiler for the shoulder temps and my A.D.D. kicked in while I was splitting between raindrops and I really suprised my self. I have been a fan of this subject matter since I was about 10! Doubt if I could carve a horse or something else.

Attachments

• DSCN0598.jpg
    DSCN0598.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 235
  • DSCN0581.jpg
    DSCN0581.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 239
  • DSCN0595.jpg
    DSCN0595.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 249
  • DSCN0582.jpg
    DSCN0582.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 247
Well, we all need some hobbies. Yours is interesting. Nice carving job too.

Just for kicks, I hope you at least joked with your wife about modeling while you carved! ;-P

I'll give that an A. On second thought, a couple of C's would be more appropriate.

i still sell some bass wood(im a lumber trader),it goes for for vertical and horizontal blinds.also goes for key stock used to make the the hammers in pianos

Status
Not open for further replies.