Basswood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
This basswood came down a couple of weeks ago across the main trail in this area so I spent some time today opening back up the trail.

I still have some hanging off the stump so the old winch and cable will make a trip up next week.

I decided that instead of hauling this to the round dump I would split it then put it in with the shoulder season wood.

zap

Attachments

• 100_5960.JPG
    100_5960.JPG
    120.3 KB · Views: 117
  • 100_5961.JPG
    100_5961.JPG
    123.3 KB · Views: 134
  • 100_5962.JPG
    100_5962.JPG
    89 KB · Views: 131
  • 100_5963.JPG
    100_5963.JPG
    113.7 KB · Views: 124
Heck yes zap. Burn it. Not sure I'd bother with the winch on that one though. Should not be a difficult thing to get down.

Reactions: ScotO
That stuff, now that it's split, should be raring to go soon.

My neighbor uses it for carving - the guy makes some amazing peices of art, I don't believe I could muster the patience for it.

Some of those larger pieces if clear could fetch decent pocket money in your local carving market.

Reactions: zap
My neighbor uses it for carving - the guy makes some amazing peices of art, I don't believe I could muster the patience for it.

Some of those larger pieces if clear could fetch decent pocket money in your local carving market.
One of these days I'll look into it, we have a lot of basswood in a certain area of our property.
zap

Ok, I have Basswood and hemlock available for the shoulder seasons, which one should I go for? I vote for the Hemlock, it just seems more dense.

I love the dull thud it makes when you throw it on the trailer :rolleyes: They saw up like butter though, makes you feel like you have a pro saw!

TS

Zap, if carvers up there are like they are around here its somewhat of a club.
Word of mouth will sell the product, and its not one of those things somebody needs(like yesterday)
At worst it could fill the tanks on the equipment once in a while

Makes darned good kindling wood too.

Status
Not open for further replies.