Bathroom drywall advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sportbikerider78

Minister of Fire
Jun 23, 2014
Saratoga, NY
When doing the transition between drywall and tile..I didn't have the foresight to tell the drywall guy to overhang the transition by the thickness of the shower tile and durock.

I'm pulling that plastic transition out. Should I tape this first or just go right for the mud?
20161204_100602.jpg

Attachments

• 20161204_100607.jpg
    20161204_100607.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 198
Is the drywall in plane with the cement board? Hard to tell from the photo. If you're joining the drywall to the durock, use joint tape. It'll help prevent cracking. You might consider using "hot mud," like EZ Sand. It hardens faster and stronger than ready mixed mud. Good for deep fills.

When you take off that plastic transition, how big a gap are you going to have? If it's bigger than 1/2 inch, I would cut a thin piece of drywall, screw it in place and then fiber tape (cement tape) it, and use EZ sand or Durabond (like Batman suggests). 2 or 3 coats should do it. If the gap is smaller than 1/2 inch, you can fill it with mud and tape.

So

1) Fiber tape the joint, then squeeze heavy amounts of mud into the joints until full. Make it as smooth as possible and let it set (whatever the time to set is according to package - so Durabond 90 hardens in about 90 minutes). Before it fully hardens, you can use the joint knife to knock off any mud that is sticking out.

2) Once the first coat hardens, apply a new coat that transitions over the cement board onto the drywall. Make smooth and let it harden.

3) Once the second coat hardens, you may need to sand it down to smooth it out before applying the final coat of mud to smooth it all out. Give it a final sanding with fine grit paper to make it all even.

I like using the Durabond for the first coat because it hardens real hard which makes it great for filling big gaps without cracking. For coats 2 and 3, I use the EZ sand because it it easier to sand down.

Make sure to clean your tools while the mud is still soft, because once it hardens it is difficult to clean off. This stuff will harden even under water, so don't clean your tools in the house sinks and drains because it can clog them up.

Good luck.

Reactions: sportbikerider78
Your expecting to spackle over cement board?. That will work.

Thanks guys! Sounds like a great procedure.

Mud sticks to everything. I have yet to find a use for spackle when you can purchase cheap medium mud.

Is the drywall in plane with the cement board? Hard to tell from the photo. If you're joining the drywall to the durock, use joint tape. It'll help prevent cracking. You might consider using "hot mud," like EZ Sand. It hardens faster and stronger than ready mixed mud. Good for deep fills.

It is on about the same plane. I will have to do a little bit of magic to make it look the same. I've had much bigger challenges with mud.

Status
Not open for further replies.