Battenkiller Thread

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrowningBAR

Minister of Fire
Jul 22, 2008
San Tan Valley, AZ
What do you want to know? What information would you like to see when it comes to running a Pre-EPA stove and a Modern EPA stove at the same time?

Franks said:
Ok, ummmm...who would win in a fight, an Intrepid or a Heritage?

Heritage. Long reach, weighs more, and has a good upper cut. Jab needs work, though. Poor footwork.

But the Vig could'a been'a contend'a.

Hey, is your intrepid the old style, or the II with the cat installed? I used to sell em back in the day pre cat. Loved those little stoves. Very pretty, loved the top load for such a little stove. Ahhh, the good ole days

Where do you go to get one of those wood-chuck'n chucks I hear folks talking about?

Franks said:
Hey, is your intrepid the old style, or the II with the cat installed? I used to sell em back in the day pre cat. Loved those little stoves. Very pretty, loved the top load for such a little stove. Ahhh, the good ole days

It's a II with the cat. A 1308 to be exact. It is back in my good graces right now. But long term it needs to be replaced for overnight burns.

double j said:
Where do you go to get one of those wood-chuck'n chucks I hear folks talking about?

I've armed mine.
woodchuck.jpg

BrowningBAR said:
Franks said:

It's a II with the cat. A 1308 to be exact. It is back in my good graces right now. But long term it needs to be replaced for overnight burns.

Yeah, never designed to be an overnight stove, but a true "parlor stove" it is.

Franks said:
BrowningBAR said:
Franks said:

Yeah, never designed to be an overnight stove, but a true "parlor stove" it is.

It is serving it's purpose right now. And for $400, I could have done far worse.

Once I removed the rear heat shield it's effectiveness improved greatly.

BrotherBart said:

Not a chance, or so I'm told by an authority who's worked with both fighters at the same time. It fights dirty, eats too much, lacks an effective knockout punch compared to younger fighters in its class, and quits way before the 12th round. That said, I've heard Roberto Duran loves his. He stokes its belly too full, then opens the air until it finally cries out, "No mas... no mas."

Battenkiller said:
BrotherBart said:

Not a chance, or so I'm told by an authority who's worked with both fighters at the same time. It fights dirty, eats too much, lacks an effective knockout punch compared to younger fighters in its class, and quits way before the 12th round. That said, I've heard Roberto Duran loves his. He stokes its belly too full, then opens the air until it finally cries out, "No mas... no mas."

Actually, the Vigilant has a meaner punch than the Heritage.

sometimes...when the moon and stars are just right...even a very long shot has a chance...like douglas def. tyson

Franks said:
Ok, ummmm...who would win in a fight, an Intrepid or a Heritage?
The Intrepid is more resolute and defiant, with enough stamina for an encore.

I also have a older VC vig(1982) model, this stove is absolute beast ...but it rips wood like theres no tomorrow!My question is does anybody own or operate a new defiant ....that would be my next stove,but iam still not sure about the quality can anybody chime in ?

ps interms of overnight night burns I can be done......(not a roaring fire but a hot bed of coals at 300-350 temps).... The ole VIG is the main source of heat of my house.ranch 1400 sqft...house is about 70 degrees all winter

94ranger55 said:
I also have a older VC vig(1982) model, this stove is absolute beast ...but it rips wood like theres no tomorrow!My question is does anybody own or operate a new defiant ....that would be my next stove,but iam still not sure about the quality can anybody chime in ?

Until VC straightens out their Everburn and Catalytic designs I will not be purchasing a VC designed stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.