Battery backup?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bad0351

Jun 17, 2011
SW New Hampshire
If I wanted a battery backup that would give me just enough time for my stove to shut down during an outage....(I have a generater)....which would be a decent choice and still not break the bank?

Dale

Intelligent LCD Series
CP1350AVRLCD
CP1350AVRLCD Front Zoom
Print this page Where to Buy MSRP: $189.95

1350VA / 810W Simulated sine wave UPS
Line-Interactive Topology
AVR & GreenPower UPSâ„¢
Multi-function LCD display
Tower Form Factor
RJ11/RJ45 and Coax RG6 Protection
8 Outlets / USB and Serial ports
EMI/RFI filters
PowerPanel® Personal Edition

CP1350AVRLCD Front
CP1350AVRLCD Back
LCD Screen

This puppy says that my Mt. Vernon AE will run 42 minutes on battery during Meduim High heating. During startup there's enough backup for about 15 minutes. Plenty of time to hook up the generator for me!

You can buy a special cable for your AE that will connect to a 12 volt car or marine battery which will automatically take over if the power goes out and will give you aprox 6 hours non stop burning. The fan speed will ramp down to one step below high to prolong battery life. This is a good option for anyone that owns a AE.

What about something like a APC battery back up that you can buy for like computer equipment ??

Backstreets75 said:
Intelligent LCD Series
CP1350AVRLCD
CP1350AVRLCD Front Zoom
Print this page Where to Buy MSRP: $189.95

1350VA / 810W Simulated sine wave UPS
Line-Interactive Topology
AVR & GreenPower UPSâ„¢
Multi-function LCD display
Tower Form Factor
RJ11/RJ45 and Coax RG6 Protection
8 Outlets / USB and Serial ports
EMI/RFI filters
PowerPanel® Personal Edition

CP1350AVRLCD Front
CP1350AVRLCD Back
LCD Screen

This puppy says that my Mt. Vernon AE will run 42 minutes on battery during Meduim High heating. During startup there's enough backup for about 15 minutes. Plenty of time to hook up the generator for me!

This looks interesting....and it's on amazon for 138 right now...

Dale

If you own a AE I don't understand why you don't just buy the 12 volt adapter cable and just connect it to a extra 12 volt car or boat battery. The cable cost less then 40.00 and a decent battery will last at least 6 hours.

rona said:
If you own a AE I don't understand why you don't just buy the 12 volt adapter cable and just connect it to a extra 12 volt car or boat battery. The cable cost less then 40.00 and a decent battery will last at least 6 hours.

When the power switches over to the 12 Volt battery does the stove keep running like nothing happened to the street power?
How long is the 12 Volt adapter cable? Does the 12 Volt battery look nice sitting in the living room next to the stove?

I prefer the intelligent UPS. It's small. Fits next to the wall near the stove. The stove doesn't know that street power was lost.
I can start up mu generator and plug theUPS unit into the generator on the fly. The UPS provides surge protection.

I guess it's all ones preference.

I would second the choice for using a quality UPS system. It has several advantages that offer protection and safety as well as backup power. We live in a rural area with power spikes and failures several times a year. After we had a control board fried in our Quad 1200i - during a summer spike and power outage, I would only run it on a good UPS. That solved the issue completely. Now that we no longer have the stove, the UPS is on our home theater system and another one for my computer for the same reason. To ensure clean power protection year round.

You can't tell when the power goes off as the battery takes over. It will run for 6 hours then it dumps the pot. The cable is 8 to 10 foot long I don't remember exactly. You could make a box to enclose the battery or buy a plastic box to put the battery in and make a decorative box to fit it.
As you say each situation is different. I also have a generator but am not home to get it going right away and using a full size battery will keep the stove going long enough so there won't be any damage during the time I am gone. There was enough room behind my stove so the battery could be placed there without being a eyesore.

imacman said:
bad0351 said:
If I wanted a battery backup that would give me just enough time for my stove to shut down during an outage....(I have a generater)....which would be a decent choice and still not break the bank?

Dale

This is the way I'd go with the Harman....but not sure what the total cost would be for the adapter and marine deep cycle battery.

http://hearthnhome.com/downloads/communications/HarmanBatteryBackUp.pdf

After some thought I think I will wait one year....(need to save some green after the stove purchase)....I will go with that surefire 512 route....better safe than sorry?
I will connect through a surge protector for now and get the gen. cranked up as quick as I can in the event of power failure.

Thank you all for the help.....believe me I need all I can get!!

Dale

Status
Not open for further replies.