1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

battery backup

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by kykel, Oct 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kykel

kykel Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    long Island
    Would a apc computer battery backup work on a pellet stove. It serves as a surge protector also.If not does anyone have any ideas

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Winslow2010

Winslow2010 New Member

Loc:
    West Virginia
    I have an APC Back-Ups 600va on my stove. It is mainly for surge protection and to cover brown outs. Even though the stove does not draw much electricity, I doubt it would keep it running for too long. $50 is cheap insurance to keep the stove protected from my power company!
  3. IHATEPROPANE

IHATEPROPANE Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NoPellettons, MA
    I have a Cyberpower unit.(see sig)If you buy one make sure it is a pure sine wave model. I first tried a regular APC and the fans seemed very labored. It was not recommended to use them for this type of application (motor loads) by both manufacturers unless it is pure sine. Mine will run for a minimum of 30 minutes if needed.
  4. soupy1957

soupy1957 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Connecticut
    aw heck..........get with the big boys........buy a full-size generator why don't cha!!

-Soupy1957
  5. Washed-Up

Washed-Up New Member

Loc:
    Kananaskis,Alberta, Canada
    Did a quick search and found this thread...I am considering battery back up and was thinking of using a couple of diesel baterries run in series to a power inverter. Inverter is 250watts, stove is 8 amps total...any opinions welcome.
    Next chinook we get here, I think I'll test it...
  6. celticsgreen

celticsgreen New Member

Loc:
    SNH
    Battery backup is only good for short outages. If you want to keep your stove on if you are out for a few days then you would need a generator. There is no perfect solution unless you have an automatic standby system.
  7. Washed-Up

Washed-Up New Member

Loc:
    Oh yeah, I understand that...luckily...the longest the powers gone out where I live is about 4hrs. Solar panel back up is something I'm researching as well...if thats what you are referring to...automatic standby.
  8. celticsgreen

celticsgreen New Member

Loc:
    SNH
    I was thinking auto standby generator, but solar is nice if it is a self-contained system with storage and you have good sun. My friend's solar system in AZ, feeds into the grid not his house, and he receives income, the wholesale cost of power as a credit off his retail electric bill. If a line is down and he has a power outage his system would not provide him with power.
  9. Washed-Up

Washed-Up New Member

Loc:
    Thats a decent set up...aside from no back up power. I'm looking at 4 36x24 panels to charge 6 deep cycle baterries, that should be enough to run my stove for atleast 24 hrs. The two batteries are just a start/test to see how well it works from full charge.
  10. smg64ct

smg64ct Member

Loc:
    Connecticut
    I have a mount Vernon and I ran it for almost 12 hours on a marine deep cycle battery. It kept the house warm while I went out and bought a generator.
  11. Rokal

Rokal Member

Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    I also have the Cyber Power pure sice wave UPS.

However, I have a Harman stove and they are recommending a cheaper UPS.

From the Harman XXV Owners Manual:

These models that are recommended by Harman are not pure sine wave.
  12. lkout4trucks

lkout4trucks New Member

I have a harman xxv and have a small solar generator that I'm wanton to use to power it during outages. It's a simple 12v and inverter setup. When I run the harman xxv off I it it just pulses the blower. Is there something else I need to make this work?
  13. SwineFlue

SwineFlue Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NE Pa
    It sounds like the blower is overloading the solar/inverter. How many Watts is it rated for?
  14. lkout4trucks

lkout4trucks New Member

Problem was the #4 DIP switch. Factory has it in the off position, needed to be in the on position.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.