Battery feed welder

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ehouse

Minister of Fire
Jul 22, 2011
Upstate NY
Lots of interesting gizmos on this forum! I dig that panel interlock, and now the mini generator. When I worked on the railroad, our welder had a portable wire feed outfit that looked like a battery pack for jump starts complete with leads and wire feed. I've seen them home built but this was factory. Anyone have a link?

Ehouse

Thanx, Panhandler, but I can't find anything on line that uses less than 2 batts. and I swear my bud's was just a booster with all else attached. He brought it from home and treked it in to bridges where we had no road access to weld 3/8" angle stock for guard rails. I'm not a welder, so is 12 volts enough to work? All the online ones need at least 18 volts (one 12volt+one6volt). Maybe I'm missing something.

Ehouse

I think you are missing something. Such a welder would be good only for welds of very short duration.

Do you mean short welding time or short weld life. Our application was for very short welds a few at a time. Lots of vibration on a RR bridge though. They seemed to hold up as well as any.

Ehouse

Short welding time, and yeah, MIG welding starts at about (minimum) 17 volts and goes up from there. With modern inverter tech, though, the battery voltage isn't really the issue, as the inverter can output whatever voltage you need.
Is there anyway you can get in touch with the operator and ask waht brand the equipment was?

I'll try and find the old coot. He went out on disability just before I retired. I guess it'd be of interest if my recollection is correct.

Ehouse

Status
Not open for further replies.