Battery powered saws

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Smokey Bear

Feb 28, 2010
Southwestern Pa
Does anyone have any experience with battery powered chainsaws?

Stihl's new one is a pretty nice little tool. I'd think about owning one except they're a bit cost prohibitive unless your going to buy all the tools and share the expensive batteries/chargers amongst them.

IIRC your in it for between $5-600 for the saw, battery, and charger.

My FIL has a Remington and uses it alot. Very quiet to use in a neighborhood. Just keep in mind chaps won't stop electric motor chainsaw.

I bought a small craftsman a couple years ago and it will do very small pruning. I find it runs out of juice (19 volt) to fast and it has a low rpm. It would not tackle anything over @ 6" without issues.....up to about 4" did ok if you only needed a couple cuts. Bought a gas powered 16" and have not been happier with what I have to do around my property.

The electric saws are nice and quiet. Their low decibel level makes 'em ideal for top secret -covert- night operation.... should the need ever arise. Worth every penny for those secret cutting jobs.
Surveys have found that their no noise takes 90 percent of the joy away for the user. Neighbors might love it if YOU use one.
With gas prices at an all time high maybe they've become more attractive?...not for me. I'd rather fill a tank because I love the sound of 13,000 rpm with woodchips flying everywhere!

Just seen Nelson bucket truck triming trees. It is an eletric pole purnner with lines feeding back to the truck it kicks @SS!

Just seen Nelson bucket truck triming trees. It is an eletric pole purnner with lines feeding back to the truck it kicks @SS!

I've seen a couple trucks around here that appear to have hydraulic or pneumatic powered pole saws. They are super quiet and have two lines running to the power-head (that's why I'm thinking hydraulic). They may be electric but the lines look too big. Either way they look pretty slick.

Reactions: smokinj
I've seen a couple trucks around here that appear to have hydraulic or pneumatic powered pole saws. They are super quiet and have two lines running to the power-head (that's why I'm thinking hydraulic). They may be electric but the lines look too big. Either way they look pretty slick.

Sure could be hydro it was very fast and quite two lines! Makes a 200t look slow!

The rigs I've seen for trimming power lines use hydraulics and have impressive reach and will travel on or offroad....I WANT ONE OF THOSE!

The rigs I've seen for trimming power lines use hydraulics and have impressive reach and will travel on or offroad....I WANT ONE OF THOSE!

They had one of those when they came on my street to clean up after the October snow storm, I said the same thing as you, "I want one", it made quick work of the limbs and branches hanging over the lines.

Yep fellas, they are hydraulic. Size the motor and pump correctly and you could be holding on to a 15,000 rpm - 10 hp saw.!!

Yep fellas, they are hydraulic. Size the motor and pump correctly and you could be holding on to a 15,000 rpm - 10 hp saw.!!

I got a standing dead cherry gave to me from the nelson crew today they used a 200t for the job....(18 inchs and that saw had hart)There ground saws where stolen last night 8 of them......

Now if somebody could come up with a 15,000 rpm, 10 horse, BATTERY POWERED and HANDHOLDABLE saw....;) then I'd be ::-)!!!!!!... and I'd never use gas powered again!

There ground saws where stolen last night 8 of them......

I hope the police catch them before the groundies do. I'll bet they are mad....

Reactions: smokinj
I hope the police catch them before the groundies do. I'll bet there mad....

Yes sir and cousin that 200t because they could have been out of ther by noon. Nice score for me though its ready to burn! (about 1/2 cord)

Funny thing is you could be driving around with an 880 in the back of your pickup and a MS290 in a tree service's truck has a far better chance at getting saw-knapped. Tree service trucks drive around with a bullseye on them. Seems that thieves know well the value of good chainsaws.

Insurance is high for tree service because of the risks. Stolen saws is a small part of the risk. The Nelson crew has been inconvenienced with their loss of 8 saws. Soon they'll have all new saws from an insurance settlement and that past inconvenience will be forgotten. There's nothing quite like brand spanking new (Stihl) equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.