Bay scallop season is open!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nsfd95

Burning Hunk
Jan 25, 2009
Eastern Long Island
image.jpg

Jags, the east coast would welcome a person of your caliber.
Had lobster one day last week then pheasant the next.
The "wild" turkeys around here are abundant and the whitetail plentiful and large and healthy.

Reactions: nsfd95
Yum

The "wild" turkeys around here are abundant and the whitetail plentiful and large and healthy.

I have no doubt...but when it comes to deer it is hard to beat the corn fed stuff coming from the midwest. Its that seafood that gets me. Unless we go to some extremely high end restaurant that flies stuff in everyday our only choice is frozen. That isn't too bad for most fish, but the stuff with exoskeletons just ain't never the same. Plus the chemicals that the packers put them in....;sick...I am VERY sensitive to it. I can taste it to the point that you might as well dunk it in lye. Haven't had a good bay scallop or nice big shrimp in quite some time. And I loves me some seafood.

Jags, the east coast would welcome a person of your caliber.
Thanks for the kind words.;em

Reactions: Dune
I have no doubt...but when it comes to deer it is hard to beat the corn fed stuff coming from the midwest. Its that seafood that gets me. Unless we go to some extremely high end restaurant that flies stuff in everyday our only choice is frozen. That isn't too bad for most fish, but the stuff with exoskeletons just ain't never the same. Plus the chemicals that the packers put them in....;sick...I am VERY sensitive to it. I can taste it to the point that you might as well dunk it in lye. Haven't had a good bay scallop or nice big shrimp in quite some time. And I loves me some seafood.

Thanks for the kind words.;em
Fresh local bay scallops hold up just fine in the freezer. That's what all the locals around here do. They hold for months no problem. Now those bay scallops found at the grocery store are imports from china that are horrible. Like you said they dunk them in some chemical so they retain water. If you are looking for some fresh Peconic bay scallops look up Braun Seafood. They ship them overnight to you.

Reactions: Dix
I have actually considered this....
Yeah bud, also consider sea scallops and live lobster. Dry (no chemicals added} sea scallops freeze very well and live lobster goes without saying
Another thing that has great shelf life is winter flounder such as blackback, and of course tuna.
The thing is you really need to know the market sending the stuff to you.
In that regard I can be of assistance.
Having been a seafood buyer (professional) I am familiar with the best markets.

Last edited:
I have actually considered this....

Go for it Jag's. I am not a seafood / fish eater buy a long shot. But I could pretty much be bought for a small scale covert operation for a nice caesar salad,bread, fries, and some breaded deep fried LI bay scallops with plenty of lemon, butter, and plenty of napkins.

Don't forget the white wine ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.