BBQ Candle idea

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Delta-T

Minister of Fire
Feb 27, 2008
NH
so I have a grill, and my grill has one of those grease trap spouts with a smallish metal bucket hanging from it. Yesterday I noticed it was gettin kinda full (only took 6 years). I was just rememebering to myself that I need to get another little bucket and thought "is there anything I can do with the old one full of grease and....stuff?" and it occured to me that it might be funny to jam a wick in there and see if I can't make it into a BBQ scented candle. I know, it'll prolly be pretty funky, but every now and again you'll get the hint of bacon, or a hint of spicy chicken as it burns down through the layers. Of course I would not bring it in the house, just leave it out near the grill....for "ambiance". Theoretically, it should would, at least sometimes...anyone ever try something like this? thoughts? I'm gonna give it a go when I get home tonite...should be pretty funny. And I can already see my wife rolling her eyes, and shakin her head at me. good times.

ill test it for ya

Do it. Then figure out a 2-stroke scented and a beer scented model and you'll have the hearth.com market cornered.

Time to suspend a wick in the new bucket, before it's full! Much easier than retrofitting one in there, after it's full.

Reactions: Delta-T
Finally a candle I'd buy! Screw those $25 jar candles that smell like "fresh linen" or "sea breeze" give me greasy beef and bbq chicken!! Let me know how this works. My grill is just a year old so my can is no where near full but I have a bunch of 1/2" wicks I bought for my oil lamps during our power outages from Sandy. May have to put one in there and let the grease grow around it :)

Reactions: milleo
I did not get a chance to try last night...weird, but its been raining here. top surface has some water intermingled with it. I have set it aside. I plan to poke a hole down through the slurry with a SS skewer. Prolly feed some wicking down there by poking the skewr through a knot.

My hope is that it does not attract bugs...or neighbors.

Status
Not open for further replies.