BBQ wood ID; hickory or cherry

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

barnartist

Minister of Fire
Iv'e been using cherry for BBQ'n my chicken. I wan't to be sure I can I.D. hickory for my next fire this afternoon. I'm sure I have some in my wood pile. Thoughts?

do a search under hickory there is alot of pic's

barnartist said:
Iv'e been using cherry for BBQ'n my chicken. I wan't to be sure I can I.D. hickory for my next fire this afternoon. I'm sure I have some in my wood pile. Thoughts?

WoodButcher is a Hickory Mongul
It's heavy and hard to miss in your wood stacks.

Here you go !

Attachments

• woodbutcher_00001.jpg
    woodbutcher_00001.jpg
    220.3 KB · Views: 407
  • DSC_0117.jpg
    DSC_0117.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 375
A few more...........

Attachments

• DSC_9556.jpg
    DSC_9556.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 370
  • DSC_9586.jpg
    DSC_9586.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 374
Last One......

Attachments

• DSC_9570.jpg
    DSC_9570.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 352
Man WOODBUTCHER, thanks for the photos. Way better than my findings on the net. I hope those were stock photo's. I think I have mistaken some of my hickory to Oak. Looks like the key is the 2tone color inside...

barnartist said:
Looks like the key is the 2tone color inside...

I have plenty of hickory that is just white throughout. The difference is that seasoned hickory will feel like a split made of concrete. At least mine does.

Back in the day when we all used charcoal I'd throw shag bark hickory bark strips that was presoaked in water from the night before on a dying charcoal fire....hummm that meat was delicious. The idea was to let the hickory bark smoke through the meat. Anyone that still uses charcoal should give it a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.