Be careful going to get the wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gzecc

Minister of Fire
Sep 24, 2008
NNJ
Been a warm day (above freezing) today. Barely needed a fire all day. Went out to get wood for the overnight burn and slipped backwards on black ice. Luckily I had a heavy collared fleece on and it cushioned my fall. My neck came down on a cement curb, again cushioned by the heavy collar of the fleece. Never thought burning wood might have such an impact on my life.

Reactions: osagebow
Glad you didn't get hurt worse. I did some ice break dancing going to the car Thursday morning. Ended with a "Flashdance" shower of fresh hot coffee.

It did not turn into snow before hitting me. ;hm

Reactions: Soundchasm
Wish wood had been the reason. Two years ago out looking for the cat to bring her in for the night I slipped on ice and went down on the very end of my left shoulder. The most pain I have ever had in my life. Two years and it still hurts. Today, same deal but on the right side. Same cat.

I either need to stop walking or kill that cat.

Wish wood had been the reason. Two years ago out looking for the cat to bring her in for the night I slipped on ice and went down on the very end of my left shoulder. The most pain I have ever had in my life. Two years and it still hurts. Today, same deal but on the right side. Same cat.

Get yourself a Lark with studded tires....

I think that heavy collared shirt should be held in high esteem.:) Glad you're ok. Might be sore 2 days after.

Reactions: Beer Belly
Going out the other night 3 am I almost went down.....it made me think how funny, in the day a Steve Martin movie scene could have been...Steve Martin and his wife buy a house..........he convinces her that to save money they should get an OTB........he explains that they are so simple a child could run it.......in the middle of the night he tells her he is going out to fill it.......next scene he is in the middle of a nightmare.....everything going wrong, smoke, slipping, falling, you know, only how Steve Martin could do it.....1/2 hr later he comes back to bed telling his wife everything went smooth......

One of my electricians from work slipped yesterday at home, blew his knee appart, said he had to crawl back into the house, probably going to be out of work 4-6 weeks.

Double whammy too, because if he can't walk, he can't get into the basement to feed the boiler so the oil has to run.

Take out the cat

Cats attract coyotes at the log home and Chinese restaurants

Going out the other night 3 am I almost went down.....it made me think how funny, in the day a Steve Martin movie scene could have been...Steve Martin and his wife buy a house..........he convinces her that to save money they should get an OTB........he explains that they are so simple a child could run it.......in the middle of the night he tells her he is going out to fill it.......next scene he is in the middle of a nightmare.....everything going wrong, smoke, slipping, falling, you know, only how Steve Martin could do it.....1/2 hr later he comes back to bed telling his wife everything went smooth......

That's not how it normally is?

Been a warm day (above freezing) today. Barely needed a fire all day. Went out to get wood for the overnight burn and slipped backwards on black ice. Luckily I had a heavy collared fleece on and it cushioned my fall. My neck came down on a cement curb, again cushioned by the heavy collar of the fleece. Never thought burning wood might have such an impact on my life.

You have a cement curb at your house?

Bet you woke up this morning feeling the pain and stiffness. Hope you heal fast.

Could have been worse. In December when the cold finally came, I decided it was time to put a light in the well pit. Stepped on the ladder and then next thing I knew I was on my back right on top of the water pump. My wife quickly asked, "Can you move?" Well, it took some struggling but I got out of there. Still feel the effects of that one.

My stepson went down on our front walk a few weeks ago. It was one of those 31-33 degree nights. hard to tell if it was ice or water. He wasn't getting wood, and won't be for a while now.:mad:
IMG_1124.JPG IMG_1125.JPG
After a plate, some screws, and a couple pins, he should be good in another month or so. At least he's not the one paying the mortgage.

Bet you woke up this morning feeling the pain and stiffness. Hope you heal fast.

Could have been worse. In December when the cold finally came, I decided it was time to put a light in the well pit. Stepped on the ladder and then next thing I knew I was on my back right on top of the water pump. My wife quickly asked, "Can you move?" Well, it took some struggling but I got out of there. Still feel the effects of that one.

Actually I felt fine, just some pain in my left upper back. That area obviously took the brunt of the force. I can't complain, it could have been much worse.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
After my father died I found many plastic milk jugs filled with sand. I could not figure out what he was doing with them. They were in all the buildings. I gave up trying to solve the mystery and started dumping them out.
One day while I was absentmindedly watching the sand pouring out of one, the very dim lightbulb came on in my head.
He was sanding the sidewalks.

My stepson went down on our front walk a few weeks ago. It was one of those 31-33 degree nights. hard to tell if it was ice or water. He wasn't getting wood, and won't be for a while now.:mad:
View attachment 126308 View attachment 126309
After a plate, some screws, and a couple pins, he should be good in another month or so. At least he's not the one paying the mortgage.

We wish him the best Flatbed.

After my father died I found many plastic milk jugs filled with sand. I could not figure out what he was doing with them. They were in all the buildings. I gave up trying to solve the mystery and started dumping them out.
One day while I was absentmindedly watching the sand pouring out of one, the very dim lightbulb came on in my head.
He was sanding the sidewalks.

Every summer in July or early August we take buckets out on the sandhill and just skim the top layer of sand so that we don't get moisture. Then we move those buckets into the barn and this year they really came in handy. In addition, I keep an ice cream bucket filled with sand and it is in the back of the car all winter. Most times I never use it for myself though but I've helped many folks stuck and some of those were semi trucks. A little sand can work wonders.

View attachment 126308 View attachment 126309

Is that xray as bad as it looks?

Never cared much for Steve, but his movie where he had a patch on his eye and a fork with a cork stuck to it still makes me laugh.

Is that xray as bad as it looks?

Yes. Hand surgeon screwed and pinned it back together in a three hour procedure. Bone broken right at the joint. He has a plate now scabbing the bone back together. Should be fine in about 4 weeks now.

I went down hard a couple weeks ago on a north facing hill going to my wood shed 200 ft away at 4 am. I like going out that time of morning if I can't sleep. It's very quiet and peaceful then. However, that time we had a fresh 2 inches of snow that covered the previous days melt. Ice is much more dangerous with a dab of snow covering it. Of course the wife had no idea I was out. Thankfully, nothing broke but the next day soreness was a constant reminder of the hazard I didn't consider. The company I work for really promotes safety, so much that they encourage you to take safety items such as hearing protection and safety glasses for home projects. I now have "YakTrax" antislip footwear next to the door. Any of us can be hurt falling down at any age.......... I was lucky.

Status
Not open for further replies.