Be careful using the Log Splitter...pay attention

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beer Belly

Minister of Fire
Oct 26, 2011
Connecticut
Two weeks ago, my bud and his Wife were using the splitter....they have been doing this as a team for years. Well, she got her finger crunched between the log and the base of the splitter.....popped the finger, fractured a bone....blood...the works.....So, even if you've done it for years...pay attention. Why do I write this today....because I did the same darned thing a couple hours ago<>.....just waiting to hear from the radiologist if I fractured or broke anything:(

Reactions: D8Chumley
Good reminder. There is lot to be said for buying fluorescent gloves for the operator and helper. Makes it a lot easier to see where folks fingers are located.

doesn't matter what color my gloves are when I get tired...... I can get careless. I got a light pinch before while finishing up and yes I was tired.
Ram bolt head caught me just a bit... I think I was rushing to finish up and not paying as good of attention as I should have been. Ouch !!!
gd lk with that..... rn

I wish I could blame it on something else other than carelessness.....it was the first log this morning, nobody home but me.....drove myself to urgent care....came home and cleaned up the blood drops around the house, finished splitting for a bit, then picked up the Wife from work and had to explain myself;em

Yup i got my pinky crushed inbetween 2 logs cause i tried splittn it the wrong way! Was a thin piece too long for stove and too lazy to grab saw, pressure broke my skin and damaged nerve feeding to inside tip of finger. Lesson learned!

Did that to my grandfather once. I was running the lever on the splitter, he was handling the pieces to be split. Busted open the side of his finger like a grilled hot dog. Nothing broken though.

Even having done that, I never did hear the man swear. A really loud owwhoooo! But no swearing.

I've been doing firewood with my dad for years. Never pinched any fingers. I've lost a tip of my glove due to getting it caught and ripping it out. Close, but no finger.

Two weeks ago, my bud and his Wife were using the splitter....they have been doing this as a team for years. Well, she got her finger crunched between the log and the base of the splitter.....popped the finger, fractured a bone....blood...the works.....So, even if you've done it for years...pay attention. Why do I write this today....because I did the same darned thing a couple hours ago<>.....just waiting to hear from the radiologist if I fractured or broke anything:(
Nothing showing on the x-ray....thinking of having my Orthopedic guy look at it to make sure.....the tech taking the x-ray was reading the manual on how to take the picture.....not a whole lot of confidence felt here

I am always on my best toes when using my Super Split. I will not pull the lever until my right hand is off the wood. Bad stuff cam happen really fast with that machine.

I spent a good 4 or 5 hours this past weekend with my new splitter, and it's easy to see how one can become complacent while operating it. Compared to a chainsaw, the splitter moves fairly slowly and I found myself becoming comfortable with the operation pretty quickly. It only took a couple of loud knot-pops to remind me of the power I was working with, and how quickly things can go sideways. I work in law enforcement, and know from training that complacency is a killer.

i always find myself wanting to grab a piece off and pull it along before it is done. Then i have to remind myself that I have 22 tons working for me, and my measly pulling is not really very helpful.

Thanks for the reminder.

When I first started using an hydraulic splitter, I was fortunate to have a close call instead of an incident. I hadn't yet developed the habit of keeping my holding hand away from the log ends and got a good glove only pinch.

Respect the tool and and personal limitations. Stay safe, everyone!

Reactions: Beer Belly
I run my TSC/Huskee 22Ton in the vertical position. I do agree that deliberate attention to keeping hands off the round when the actual splitting occurs is a must. However, in the vertical position, a large round won't stay in place to have the wedge come down fully on the edge of the round, so a hand is needed to hold it in place. So I use my left hand on the side (never on top) to hold it in place while my right hand is on the lever. As soon as contact is made between wedge and wood, the left hand comes away to the side, a quick and deliberate motion that I always use - no exceptions. On thinking about this, I suppose I could use a piece of wood about the thickness of the base plate of the splitter (like a 2x10) to let me place the round without the need for a hand on the side at all. Please comment on what you think works to maintain safety while getting the job done.

I run my TSC/Huskee 22Ton in the vertical position. I do agree that deliberate attention to keeping hands off the round when the actual splitting occurs is a must. However, in the vertical position, a large round won't stay in place to have the wedge come down fully on the edge of the round, so a hand is needed to hold it in place. So I use my left hand on the side (never on top) to hold it in place while my right hand is on the lever. As soon as contact is made between wedge and wood, the left hand comes away to the side, a quick and deliberate motion that I always use - no exceptions. On thinking about this, I suppose I could use a piece of wood about the thickness of the base plate of the splitter (like a 2x10) to let me place the round without the need for a hand on the side at all. Please comment on what you think works to maintain safety while getting the job done.

Split a 1.5" flat piece and set it on the ground in front of the splitter platform- that will keep your hand away from the smashy bits.

Reactions: TreePointer
Sorry to hear you got hurt. Good reminder for all of us to be careful. I'm all about speed and efficiency when splitting, so safety needs to be the number 1 priority.

Unless the round is really odd shaped, mine sit against the beam themselves pretty good when splitting vertical.

If there's any hill at all where I'm working, the beam is facing up it. And I put a small round or short pole (3-4" diameter?) on the ground a few inches in front of the foot. That makes it super easy to tip the round up (down?) on & into the beam (sort of a cantilever thing), plus it helps keep it there once it is tipped. And if the splitter is downhill from the wood, facing up the hill, it's really easy to roll rounds down to it then tip them into the beam.

Neighbor got her finger smashed good yesterday playing with the kids near the stream. They were moving rocks and one boy dropped a rather large one on her finger. So be careful when working around other people.

Last edited:
Easy solution. 1 man operation of the splitter only.

I am new to this and am around deadly equipment risks all day. I develop my own patterns to maximize my own safety.

My primary rule is never put your hand anywhere but the top of the log. Never.
Never have distractions around..Kids..dog..wife..just me and the splitter.

Easy solution. 1 man operation of the splitter only.

I am new to this and am around deadly equipment risks all day. I develop my own patterns to maximize my own safety.

My primary rule is never put your hand anywhere but the top of the log. Never.
Never have distractions around..Kids..dog..wife..just me and the splitter.
I was the sole operator.....noting broken, may have some Ligament / Tendon damage......back to the Doc at the end of the month.

This is the first year I haven't had a blackened finger nail from splitting wood.

(The year isn't over yet though).

It's never a wedge moving thing though - I just seem to manage to get my darned fingers between the round & the beam somehow, before I even get to pulling the lever

Status
Not open for further replies.