Be careful when moving things this time of the year

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backwoods Savage

Minister of Fire
Feb 14, 2007
Michigan
I was moving some of the old galvanized roofing we use for covering wood when about 3 sheets down, here is what I found. Get too close and he'd make a lunge.

Snake-1.gif

Snake-2.gif

What kind of snake is that? I don't think we have that variety here in Arkansas. In your signature you say you have a onery wife, she didn't put that snake there did she. :)

Stay Cool,
AR

Thats a Milk snake, good rodent eater ;)

They're cool looking, we have a pretty big one that lives in and around the compost and brush pile. Sometimes I spot him/her first, sometimes I don't and am rewarded with an adrenalin rush. ;)

ANeat said:
Thats a Milk snake, good rodent eater ;)

Would that be a northern type of King snake? Here in Arkansas, we have King snakes that have a lot of yellow and black on them. And of course there are a lot of Chicken snakes that are black that can't hurt you. We do have a pile of Cotton Mouths, Rattle snakes, and alligators too. The latter group being rather dangerous.

AR

Happy to say snakes around here don't seem to get all that big . . . and none are poisonous . . . not a big fan of the snakes . . . won't go out of my way to kill 'em, but just don't care for them.

Yes, that is a milk snake and we seem to have several around here. This one was pretty small but big on temper. We took a couple of pictures and left him alone. My wife had to look through the binoculars because she wanted a real close-up of his head and said he looks like he is wearing a mask. That is hard to see from a strait on view though. I should have taken one from a more sideways and close-up.

We didn't find any eggs though. One time we found some mule eggs and I had my wife sit on them for a month but nothing came of it. We had to buy a new mule.

firefighterjake said:
Happy to say snakes around here don't seem to get all that big . . . and none are poisonous . . . not a big fan of the snakes . . . won't go out of my way to kill 'em, but just don't care for them.

You dont get the Eastern Timber Rattler in Maine, nor the Moccasin? I thought you did, and both are poisonous. We've had some Timber rattler sightings over here over the last couple of years. I used to see the moccasins swimming across the pond near my moms house when I was younger, but haven't seen one in quite a while.

Delta-T said:
firefighterjake said:

You dont get the Eastern Timber Rattler in Maine, nor the Moccasin? I thought you did, and both are poisonous. We've had some Timber rattler sightings over here over the last couple of years. I used to see the moccasins swimming across the pond near my moms house when I was younger, but haven't seen one in quite a while.

Neither snake is here in Maine . . . to my knowledge. We don't let 'em slither across the Kittery-Portsmouth Bridge . . . we tell 'em that New Hampshire may be "live free or die" but here in Maine it's "All snakes must die." ;) :)

On a serious note . . . yeah . . . neither snake is in Maine . . . once in a while you hear of someone finding a stow-away . . . but it's pretty rare for some reason.

We don't allow poisonous snakes in New Brunswick, either.
Garter snakes, chewing up crickets, yes. But nothing to run from.
Glad you didn't have to make a trip to the hospital!

Mostly be careful for their sake. I had some small garter snakes in my kiln wood pile that kept moving down layers as I picked up wood. I kept thinking I'd squish the poor buggers with shifting wood.

Beautiful snake! Our 2 Northern pine and 1 LA girls dropped over 50 eggs this year, can't wait for the hatch.

Status
Not open for further replies.