1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Be Careful with Splitting Wedges

Post in 'The Gear' started by Eric Johnson, Sep 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eric Johnson

Eric Johnson Mod Emeritus

Loc:
    Central NYS
    I just read a news item about a guy in northern Maine who was splitting wood with a steel splitting wedge and a sledge hammer. Part of the wedge let go when he hit it with the sledge, sending it into his femoral artery and him to the morgue.

Hitting steel with steel is dangerous. I never use splitting wedges, but if you do, be sure to grind off all the mushroomed steel that forms over time around the head. And by all means, always wear safety glasses.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Nic36

Nic36 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Decatur, Alabama
    Talk about a freak accident. What a way to go.

Yeah, the safety glasses is a good idea. I wear mine for everything. I wear them and still get stuff in my eyes. Go figure.
  3. flyingcow

flyingcow Minister of Fire

Loc:
    northern-half of maine
    Sad story, nice guy by all accounts. Small town guy. Makes you think.
  4. woodconvert

woodconvert Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Fenton Michigan
    THAT is a bummer. Before I finished what you read I was thinking "that wedge was schroomed over i'll bet". Back in the day...as a yout...I split with a sledge and wedges. The wedges were mushroomed over so bad the wedge stopped when the mushroomed part got to the wood. I took schrapnel to the bare leg once before I got smart...or smarter.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.