Be careful! Woodstove carelessness burnt the house down.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bsj425

Burning Hunk
Jul 17, 2011
North Pole Alaska
The house I lived in for years and JUST sold 2 weeks ago. The new owners were wood stove "newbs". Owners lit a fire and fell asleep with the door cracked open. I have a few close friends on the fire fighting crew that helped put it out and told me about it. The stove was cleaned professionally and inspected as terms of our closing so it couldn't have been creosote. Either a log popped and sent an ember out the door or something. Sad that the house I put so much money blood sweat and tears into is a total loss no more than a month after I moved out. Just glad they got out safe and no one was hurt/ killed.

fire_2.jpg

http://www.webcenter11.com/?q=content/structure-fire-destroys-north-pole-home

wood stove noobs in alaska?

Reactions: smokedragon
Also I guess the title is misleading the stove didnt burn the house down. It was carelessness/ a mistake but a costly one at that.

I had a discussion with a relative that has a wood stove in the house they are renting. He said to me, knowing I heat with wood, "Is there more of a chance of a house fire, heating with wood?" I said, of course there is, you have a controlled fire going on in your living room! You need to be smart and careful.

Also I guess the title is misleading the stove didnt burn the house down. It was carelessness/ a mistake but a costly one at that.
Agreed, added that to the title.

I had a discussion with a relative that has a wood stove in the house they are renting. He said to me, knowing I heat with wood, "Is there more of a chance of a house fire, heating with wood?" I said, of course there is, you have a controlled fire going on in your living room! You need to be smart and careful.

There are other things in your house just as dangerous (like gas heat, and ventless gas logs). I cannot tell you how many people I know who use Natural gas or propane for heat, hot water heater, range, etc. who don't have a CO detector.

Lots of dangerous things, but like you said, be smart.

There are other things in your house just as dangerous (like gas heat, and ventless gas logs). I cannot tell you how many people I know who use Natural gas or propane for heat, hot water heater, range, etc. who don't have a CO detector.

Lots of dangerous things, but like you said, be smart.

Natural selection over the long term is a good thing for our species.

Natural selection over the long term is a good thing for our species.

Totally agree.......but I feel I am in the minority.

Too many would say "now, now.....that's a terrible thing to say when someone has survived a tragedy".

Kinda like those folks who build houses 10 feet from the ocean, then want me to chip in and help them rebuild because it flooded !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.