Bearing replacement on Breckwell Big Ecombustion fan,

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

buildingmaint

Feeling the Heat
Jan 19, 2007
Oil City PA
Trying to replace the inner bearing on my combustion fan, I have disassembled the motor to a point that I have the armature and bearings and small inner fan blades out of the coil. How do you get the small fan off to get the bearing behind it off? Or do you have to replace the whole armature bearing fan assembly ?

It should come off. But be careful it bends easy. I have a flat piece of steel with a slot milled in it to support the fan. I then lightly tap on it with a soft mallet. Measure the distence from the end of the shaft before you start tapping. I also spin the armature while tapping to keep it from binding or tweaking sideways. If it struggles. Try warming up the fan only to expand it. Not too hot though.

Keep us posted.

Ok , thanks , a little heat and some CRC penetrating oil and the fan came right off. Now , how do you get the bearings off the shaft ? I don't have a small enough gear puller to get between the bearing and shaft.

I use a bearing splitter. A couple of pieces of threaded rod and a standard puller to remove them. basically a portable arbor press.

Attachments

• GearBearing-Separator-3R734_AS01.jpg
    GearBearing-Separator-3R734_AS01.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 165
  • Portable-Arbor-Press-3ZM98_AS01.jpg
    Portable-Arbor-Press-3ZM98_AS01.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 197
First thing to do is to get some good measurements from each end of the shaft to the face of the bearings so as to locate them back on the shaft exactly where they were. A measurement from one end of the rotor body (armature as some call it) to either end of the shaft needs to be taken also to relocate the rotor body back on the shaft. The shaft of the rotor is independant of the body, the ones I've done have been. I then placed the rotor on top of a vise that is opened enough to drive the shaft through the rotor body far enough to remove the bearing, doing the same for the other bearing. When you install the bearings, make sure whatever you use contacts only the inner race of the bearing, very important.

I agree. That is the only thing I didn't do was measure when I put mine back together. Now I had to use the "by eye" method. I'm close but I should have measured. That's why I'll use the rebuild as a spare.

Status
Not open for further replies.