Beautiful visitor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chuckster

Burning Hunk
Jan 21, 2012
Sussex County NJ
This beautiful red tailed hawk landed on our side porch sat there for about fifteen minutes let the kids pet it and was as contented as could be. It had no band or tether on it's leg so I really don't think it was any ones pet. I am an outdoor person and do lots of hunting and fishing and have always loved hawks but I never thought anything like this could happen. It was quite an experience.
305.jpg

306.jpg

307.jpg

308.jpg
309.jpg

Not that bird's first close encounter with humans, that's fer sure.

That is cool. Hope he does well.

Hey Chuckster, like your sig. If it ain't broke fix it anyway. Reminds me of a quote. " If it ain't broke, modify it till it is!"

that is amazing. i would have been leary to approach. talons on that thing are sick.

verrrry cool thats a once in a lifetime

That's pretty cool! Did he fly away normaly when you were done taking pictures?

Reminds me of an owl we found having lunch in our driveway when we came home one evening. He was in our parking spot and wasn't in any hurry to move, so I got out the camera and snapped a few pictures.
Even with the car headlights and the flash of the camera it took him a while before flew away to find a quieter spot to eat his lunch.
pictures here - http://southokanagan.biz/owl/index.htm -

BTW sometimes when they stick around like that is because they just finished bashing into a window and it takes them a while to get their senses back.

Now that's pretty dang slick. Braver than I. :)

This beautiful red tailed hawk landed on our side porch sat there for about fifteen minutes let the kids pet it and was as contented as could be. It had no band or tether on it's leg so I really don't think it was any ones pet. I am an outdoor person and do lots of hunting and fishing and have always loved hawks but I never thought anything like this could happen. It was quite an experience.

What a great experience. That's odd that it's not banded if it had been a released bird. They are usually banded. Maybe contact your local Audubon chapter and see what they think or know?

That's pretty cool! Did he fly away normaly when you were done taking pictures?

Reminds me of an owl we found having lunch in our driveway when we came home one evening. He was in our parking spot and wasn't in any hurry to move, so I got out the camera and snapped his a few pictures.
Even with the car headlights and the flash of the camera it took him a while before flew away to find a quieter spot to eat his lunch.
pictures here - http://southokanagan.biz/owl/index.htm -

BTW sometimes when they stick around like that is because they just finished bashing into a window and it takes them a while to get their senses back.
This guy just looked around for awhile then took off. I forgot to mention that I also picked it up and held it like a baby for awhile then when I put it on the railing it just sat there and let the kids pet it.

That had to be a wonderful experience.

I've only had a turkey hen move in.
Showed up around Halloween and left around Memorial Day, kinda like some in-laws ......

Reactions: Adios Pantalones
Used to have one that would perch on a bridge railing and golf equipment running 5-6 ft from it didn't bother it at all. Never tried to get closer.

Very cool.

That's awesome Chuckster. Even though I can drive by the red tails along the highways within 20', the ones that land on my perches won't allow allow us to even move in the house near the window. They can see and hear everything when I have tried to sneak up on them 80' is about as close as they will tolerate.

Nice thanks for sharing.

WOW !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.