Beavers and Firewood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snowfreak

Nov 18, 2005
Altona, NY
Last year I noticed a pretty good sized maple tree that got knocked down by the wind and went out to cut it into rounds. As I am bucking the tree up I take note of my surroundings and notice the Beavers have cut quite a few trees down. Mostly small ones but a few were good sized (8" diameter) A couple were live elm trees and one was a maple. I figured I would take advantage of their handiwork. I scored about a face cord of beaver wood, I did leave them the branches though. I kept the pieces where the beavers felled the bottom of the tree so I could get a good chuckle next year over my beaver wood. Now if I could only get them to section it into 16" pieces.

He, He....Beaverwood...

Never mind ;)

I did that one year but didn't get as much as you got. We no longer have beavers here. It appears they ate most of the popple close to the creek and moved on to better eating elsewhere.

I've got loads of beaver wood you can have. All you've got to do is pull it out of that tangle of a dam they built! lol

Seriously, they are some amazing creatures. I recently noticed that they'd taken down a big tree on the far side of a 6 strand barbed wire fence. I wrote them off as having wasted their time since there was no way they'd ever get the tree to water but two days later it was gone! A few leaves and twigs stuck to the wire as well as drag marks tell me they did take it through the fence but for the life of me I can't figure out how! I'd have paid money to see them do it.

It wouldnt be so bad if these furry lumberjacks would only tackle trees they intend on using. But here they have "skirted" many trees which are way too big for their taste. 18" white oaks and numerous ash trees have been damaged and most killed because they started chewing and finally gave up due to size or hardness. I gladly cut the wood but it still is sad to see a 60' tree go this way. What bothers me, are the damaged trees on the other side of the creek, on my property, which I can't get at due to the geography.

Status
Not open for further replies.