Bed Extender

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacktheknife

Minister of Fire
Dec 4, 2012
Lakota, Iowa
Anyone use a pickup bed extender? I am looking at one that mount to the tailgate and can fold to a flat five inches when not in use. I have been hauling a lot of pole wood as would appreciate the extra room, but I have my doubts about piling cut wood on the tailgate and doing a proper 8 foot load.

My dad had one that went into his hitch and added a support a few feet behind the tailgate. Worked great, he used it to haul lumber.

image.jpg

This is what I'm looking out.

I wouldn't load the gate with firewood.

Reactions: Ashful
Thats what they make an 8Ft box for, never had much use for a 6' box,i keep wishing mine was 10'.

I wouldn't load the gate with firewood.
Right, hence my skepticism in the first post. I think it might work well for the pole wood, though.

Reactions: MasterMech
How would that help with pole wood. Wouldn't the bed sides keep it in?

Thats what they make an 8Ft box for, never had much use for a 6' box,i keep wishing mine was 10'.

Some of us can't afford whatever truck we want, the best option I could afford had a 6' bed.

How would that help with pole wood. Wouldn't the bed sides keep it in?
I could cut longer poles without worrying about them tumbling out the back. I don't typically run around with a load on and the tailgate down for concern of unexpectedly unloading my cargo.

Some of us can't afford whatever truck we want, the best option I could afford had a 6' bed.
My truck is 18 years old (1995) SIlverado,but it does have an 8"bed and extended cab and i can put 2 tons on the back. Probably not worth more than 5K at this point although it still looks good and drives great. I know there are a lot of sixers out there and sometime hard to find an 8.

My truck is 18 years old (1995) SIlverado,but it does have an 8"bed and extended cab and i can put 2 tons on the back. Probably not worth more than 5K at this point although it still looks good and drives great. I know there are a lot of sixers out there and sometime hard to find an 8.

Mine is a '99 extended with 6' bed, stole it for $1500.

I just took my nephew today to look at a 2000 F150 Ex cab 6 Ft box 4x4 1/2 ton for $1500. That must be the going price for those trucks. NIce looking truck.

Im a chevy man though ,fords dont like me, had a few in the 80s.

I just took my nephew today to look at a 2000 F150 Ex cab 6 Ft box 4x4 1/2 ton for $1500. That must be the going price for those trucks. NIce looking truck.
Blue book before I bought it showed about 4.5k, but I never found blue book prices to be the gold standard they are claimed to be. I really like the body style for this generation.

Its a private party sale ,im sure this truck would do at least 5-6K on a lot. like i said nice looking truck and body style,you did good.

Its a private party sale ,im sure this truck would do at least 5-6K on a lot. like i said nice looking truck and body style,you did good.
Thanks, it has come in handy so far. Last year we did the entire season's btu supply in the car.

Thanks, it has come in handy so far. Last year we did the entire season's btu supply in the car.
WHAT!!!!!!!! You guys are really dedicated,at least you are much closer to what you need to be a real die-hard wood burner. My son cuts trees as a side job ,so ill take my GM- HD truck along with his Silverado diesel and 6 ton dump trailer and we can load 9 ton of wood in a single trip. BTW welcome to the forum,great bunch of guys here.

Reactions: Jacktheknife
Thanks for the warm welcome, this is my second season on the forum. I typically only actively post when I am actively processing.

Long beds (8 ft) are typically less $$ than their shortbed counterparts. More valuable to the working man but everybody wants a crew cab half-ton 4x4 these days and that's typically a 5.5-6ft bed. Long beds aren't the most stylish or practical choice for the grocery getter types but for us wood-haulers, it's a different story. ;)

Best part about one of those bed extenders would be containing smaller items when it's flipped over and the gate is shut I would think. :)

Only a small part of the weight will be on the gate, and U can load small end out

My dad had one that went into his hitch and added a support a few feet behind the tailgate. Worked great, he used it to haul lumber.
Why not go this type ?

Reactions: pyroholic
My advice would be to skip the rack for log length. I would just load the 8' logs, ratchet strap them down, and staple a red flag on the end. It seems that you may want tie downs anyway, so what is the benefit of the rack?

My advice would be to skip the rack for log length. I would just load the 8' logs, ratchet strap them down, and staple a red flag on the end. It seems that you may want tie downs anyway, so what is the benefit of the rack?
I must agree

Status
Not open for further replies.