Bed warmer/Warming pan.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

micah

Nov 1, 2007
Central Pennsylvania
We had my grandmother over for a special dinner last night and when she seen that i had my woodstove finished and working she recommended that i get one. She said when she was little her father would take hot coals from the fire and put it in a "bronze/brass?" pan with lid. Then the put the pan and slid it under her blankets for a few mins. She also went on to mention that she remember some kind of metal stand that he would fill with hot coals that would keep her room warm most of the night. I searched google but i didnt come up with much. Anyone have one or know what there called?

I've heard stories about the devices mentioned but have never seen them sold anywhere. Maybe their use was discontinued to do danger. They used to burn gas without safety pilot valves in the old days. Don't see that happening anylonger either.

I've seen bed warmers in antique shops. I'm not sure I'd want to put something on fire (even if it is in a metal container) between the sheets of my bed. Maybe a hot water bottle is a better investment?

I've not heard of the other. Maybe you could heat rocks and place them in a metal bucket? I think the invention of central heating and liability lawsuits stopped many of these practices.

Matt

Much better is a soapstone.

I remember as a child using the old soapstone and we also used to just heat rocks. We'd cover them with heavy towels and stick them in the foot of the bed. Worked like a charm. The old soapstone, which I still have, was also used in the old Model A car. We'd heat that stone, put it on the floor in the back seat and us kids would then cover our feet and legs with a heavy, and I do mean heavy, horsehair blanket. The heaters in those Model A's were not too great....

Growing up I spent many weekends at my grandfathers place , no heat but cookstove in kitchen which would go out shortly after going to bed, he always had a couple of chunks of soapstone on the stove and would wrap them in many layers of newspaper and toss them into the bed an hour or so befor hitting the sack for the night. They would hold some heat all night.

When we go camping with the horses, around the campfire we always shoveled some hot coals under our chairs to warm us up at night. Gotta watch the dusters though...we've had a few close calls, especially after too many rounds of drinks. LOL!

There was once a devise to warm your feet in a carriage or early car. It was rectangular vented on the ends and coals, charcoal or small pieces of coal where used to warm feet while traveling. There was also a burn pot taken from the stove or fireplace with coals in it that added some heat, but I imagine the risk of CO was real high. I don't have pics of any of them, but searching in old car circles will get you pics of a foot warmer.

The problem as I see it with the bed warmers, is if you have too many coals and it is too warm and you don't keep moving, you will scorch the bed linens, or maybe even light them up. They are nice looking and still used in Europe, but really should only be a decoration.

The soap stone is another issue. The blocks and discs were not originally intended for warming beds necessarily, but were part of a Summer Oven. Basically a box heavily insulated with inserts fitted with cooking pots. During the morning warm up of the stove for breakfast, the stones were heated. The evening meal was prepared and put in the pot. Soap stone was placed underneath and on top and the box sealed for the day. Worked just like a crock pot, heating dinner/supper without having to refire the stove. These were made through the 30's. I have used one and they work great. A pork roast with kraut and apples is perfect after eight hours. In the winter when they stove is used all day, the blocks become bed warmers. A true dual purpose tool.

LOTS of great information thanks. I cant imagine using the coal filled bed warm. The soapstone on the other hand sounds like a good idea. About how hot would you say they would get? Hot enough to catch something linen on fire? I think i might try and find some soapstone. My bedroom is the only room in the house that my stove doesnt heat. Theres nothing fun about running from a nice 80ish degree room up to a 60 degree bed. Should be the other way around.

As for using wood coals to heat a room. Do they really produce CO2? When i clean my stove out and theres coals in the bottom i dont recall there ever being any smoke.

We use a good quality electric blanket. Safe, economical and adjustable. A small piece of soapstone doesn't seem like it would warm a large enough area. And don't even think about using coals in an old bed warmer - there is a reason they don't make those anymore!

Hummm, seems to me like the bed warmer would be safe, but I don't recall it's use being filling it with coal then setting it under the covers. Rather you'd fill it with coals, then like ironing a shirt you'd move it over and all around the bed to heat up the entire bed... hence the long handles. Perhaps I'm misreading an above post.

-Kevin

Buy your self a nice new electric blanket at wal mart for 29.95 and forget about a $300.oo
antique bed burner.

I too, go from a 78deg living room to a 55 deg bedroom, if I leave the bedroom door closed.

With the door open ,its not so bad, maybe 67 deg. So, I trade privacy for heat , although ,its really more a mater of keeping the dog out of my bed.

I have a 65 lb pit bull that just cant bear to be seperated from me. My own fault,I spoiled her rotten when she was a puppy, but she was so damed tiny & cute.
Now, she is big & heavy & an affection hogging pest makes my legs go numb.

We bought some soapstone sticks from Woodstock that are meant for putting inside boots for drying them. They do work great for that and also we use them to dry out gloves. However, the best use I've found yet is when cutting wood during cold weather. We have one of those muffs for keeping hands warm. You put one hand in each end. One day I put two soapstone sticks in the muff along with an extra pair of gloves. After I got the trailer loaded, my fingers were cold and I still had to haul the wood up to the house. So I put the wet cold pair in the muff after removing the other pair. I slipped those warm gloves on my hands and thought it was the best thing since slice bread. Works like a charm!

stonehousemike described the old soapstone block we still have. They used to be very common.

We sold them only as a decorate item to hang by the hearth. Typically the ones you find today are made from thin brass or copper with a flimsy closing mechanism and wood handle. All in all a big no no for real use. Hot water bottle, puppy, or socks are a much safer solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.