Bedroom wood stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

teutonicking

Feeling the Heat
Aug 18, 2011
Maryland
I got a Progress Hybrid stove last December and we have been enjoying it ever since. It is loctaed in our family room, on the first floor of our home. We have about 1700 square feet on the first floor and an additional 1700 square feet of space on the second floor. It is able to heat our entire home pretty well (particularly the first floor, but the second floor is pretty comfortable too). At first, my wife was very skeptical about getting a wood stove. But now, she enjoys the heat from it so much, that she is now asking me if we can get one in the bedroom on the 2nd floor so that she can sleep in front of the stove every night.

Does anyone have a stove in thier second floor bedroom? Although I would love to have a second stove (perhaps on the ohter side of our house on the first floor) I would think that having a second stove upstairs would not be advisable for a number or reasons--overheating a relatively small room; getting wood up there; draft issues; not being able to have a large stove with an overnight burn.

Anyone who has done this, I'd be interested in how it has worked out, and what kind of stove you purchased for that purpose. Or anyone with general advice would also be appreciated. Thanks.

I don't think so. Most stove manuals and local jurisdictions don't allow this. There are some possible exceptions, but I think you would be better off considering a vented gas fireplace or stove instead.

There might be local ordinances against that....just saying

Codes in many places disallow solid fuel-burning appliances in sleeping quarters. Some allow them so long as the volume of the space is like a barracks. Many stove manufacturers specifically state in the owner's/installation documentation that the appliance is not to be installed in sleeping quarters. This is a subject of some contention (like garages/shops). You need to check your local codes, because they differ a bunch throughout the country. Then you would need to choose an appliance carefully to make sure the manufacturer doesn't say it's prohibited.

Never considered it, heck our window is open most nights all winter cause we prefer it cold for sleeping!

Bizarre... most old houses around here have fireplaces in the bedrooms. Those without fireplaces at least have thimbles.

That said... I can't see getting much use out of a woodstove located in a bedroom. I think you'd wake up uncomfortably dehydrated, and be too warm at night, not to mention the troubles with hauling wood (and bugs) up to your bedroom.

True, but those old houses were built before central heating and current sealing + insulation levels.

We tried it once.
Lasted a week and we took it out again.
Room was excessively hot (I m a polar bear!) and the flickering , aswell as the heat kept me awake.
Even the wife found it too hot, and she likes heat.

I have a small antique coal stove in our bedroom at our cabin. Keeps it toasty on a cold winter night (the cabin is drafty and has no insulation) more heat than is needed on a 40°F night but I can always open a window. Coal is nice for a bedroom because of the steady heat and long burn time. Smoke and CO2 detectors a must!

If you have natural gas to your home (or propane), you could try the woodstock mini franklin. Woodstock went to great lengths to design the "logs" to look and appear to burn like a wood fire.

The stove is specifically designed to heat one room...100 to 400 square feet. Has available remote and has 2 inch clearances. It's small and very pretty and would be an attractive addition to a bedroom. You can wall mount it on a slate they sell, or get a slate topped stand, so the fire is at eye level when sitting. It direct vents, which would be easy vs. a stove. It's on sale $150 off until the end of Oc

If you're not familiar with it you might want to check the site with your wife.

It would be sort of perfect for what you want...nice fire in the bedroom, small, not too much heat, no bugs, no wood carrying.

I have a Progress Hybrid too, similar sized home.

I agree with your wife...I want to be able to sleep in front of the fire. Not going to happen...unless I stay down on the couch. No natural gas here, and I don't want propane.

Good luck!
Good luck.

Reactions: Lakeside
I got a Progress Hybrid stove last December and we have been enjoying it ever since. It is loctaed in our family room, on the first floor of our home. We have about 1700 square feet on the first floor and an additional 1700 square feet of space on the second floor. It is able to heat our entire home pretty well (particularly the first floor, but the second floor is pretty comfortable too). At first, my wife was very skeptical about getting a wood stove. But now, she enjoys the heat from it so much, that she is now asking me if we can get one in the bedroom on the 2nd floor so that she can sleep in front of the stove every night.

Does anyone have a stove in thier second floor bedroom? Although I would love to have a second stove (perhaps on the ohter side of our house on the first floor) I would think that having a second stove upstairs would not be advisable for a number or reasons--overheating a relatively small room; getting wood up there; draft issues; not being able to have a large stove with an overnight burn.

Anyone who has done this, I'd be interested in how it has worked out, and what kind of stove you purchased for that purpose. Or anyone with general advice would also be appreciated. Thanks.
Even with the smallest stove you can buy, unless your bedroom is 500+ sqft you will roast in there!! I like to sleep in the low to upper 60s at night, i would be to hot with even those tiny .5cuft stoves in my room!!

I Would say the law do not allow that.

You would be amazed how a oil filled radiator heater levels out the temp in a bedroom in a wood heated house. With minimum current usage when it is turned on low.

Reactions: bag of hammers
Even with the smallest stove you can buy, unless your bedroom is 500+ sqft you will roast in there!! I like to sleep in the low to upper 60s at night, i would be to hot with even those tiny .5cuft stoves in my room!!

This stove is the only stove on the market specifically designed to heat one room. It is rated 100 to 400 sq feet. 100 square feet = 10 x 10 room.

Was there supposed to be a link in your prior post?

I'm guessing he's referring to the gas appliance he described in post #11, but it's not clear.

We were going to do this at our Old House. Ended up with not enough clearance (1 3/4 story, the roof line was too low), but no one ever mentioned it being illegal. They actually had the stove on the truck and came in to do the install and were like "no way". We ended up getting the Berkshire instead.

Our bedroom there was small, maybe 9x8. It warmed up pretty quick so we only had flames for maybe half an hour before it went out and would come on sporatically through the night when it was cold. We didn't have central heat so the only heat source was down stairs, another gas stove (Heritage Bay). I would try to find the smallest gas stove you can-the Berkshire is a bit much for a bedroom but there weren't many small stoves out at the time, and it had the best flames.

Oh, and on the plus side a gas stove can be thermostatically controlled so it'll go off when it gets too warm. We set ours to the lowest temp during the day and only turned it up when we went upstairs for the night.

Even if the manufacturer and building codes did accept a stove in a bedroom I would think it to be too risky just because my wife wants a fire in the bedroom, very impracticle and dangerous. Just look at the clippings firefighter jake posts during the burn season of folks making serious fire burning mistakes and there goes your home...Yeah, I'm a bit sensative about it :mad:

With gas stoves in a sleeping space you also can only use one that has a direct vent exhaust system. A lot of the codes behind this sleeping room stuff has to do with somebody closing the bedroom door and the appliance sucking all of the oxygen out of the room. With direct vent the combustion air is drawn from outside the living space.

Get a queen or king Aero bed, inflate it in the room the woodstove is in and camp out there - see what it is like sleeping in front of stove and flickering flames. Doing that once in awhile may do the trick. Just sayin!

Reactions: Ashful
At the farm house there is a fireplace in one of the bedrooms, we have had fires quite a few times through the night, i have to wake up at least 3x to chuck wood in it but the wife likes the flames dancing and the heat!

The even stranger thing where I live is the only thing we can put in an existing woodfire place in the bedroom is a direct vent gas insert. I would think burning a wood insert or a pellet insert would be safer than an open fire.

I think I would love having a wood stove in my bedroom because I love the fire dancing in a dark room. However, I don't think I could take the heat. It's strange that it is so common to have open wood burning fireplaces in bedrooms, but wood burning appliances are not kosher. Wood stoves and inserts are much safer and cleaner.

Status
Not open for further replies.