Beech and Chestnut Oak Frying (Drying) Time

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bryankloos

Oct 31, 2013
Weston, CT
Hi guys,

Just curious what are standard drying times for beech and chestnut oak once CSS.

Thanks

Bryan

I like to fry beech and chestnut oak with a olive oil / butter combo to raise the smoke point a bit. 5-6 minutes a side for a 2" beech steak. Never burned it though.

I cut a lot of chestnut oak, have burned a bit at 2 years by necessity, much better at 3

Peanut oil or corn?

Splitoak beat me by a nose lol...some of the older stoves have peanut allergies, I'd go soy.

Ha Ha Guys,
This is what I get for writing a thread on my iPhone while sitting down (on the toilet) before coffee and a shower.
Clearly I meant Drying time...
Thanks,
Bryan

You will never be wrong if you give beech 2 years and oak 3.

I agree on beech, 2 years. I have burned in one but definitely still has a bit of hiss.

Beech and oak I treat the same. 3 years. Big splits of seasoned beech burn like oak.

Burning some ~16 month beech right now and it's okay, but will be better next season.

I can get one year Beech below 20%. Split in September and 4" -5" split size. Im burning bigger splits right now at 18 months and no residue on the glass or any signs of poor burning.
The beech is on high ground with loam sand. Dont know if soil moisture affects a trees uptake. But the trees are cut under dry conditions.
The only Chestnut oak Ive burned so far is deadfall or dead standing. That also burns well in a year.
I have a large chestnut oak Ive been picking at for 2 years now. Like a coyote on a deer carcass. The wood has beetle holes but its solid and 1 year drying and it burns beautiful.
My BIL cut me 2 live Chestnuts this last fall. I will see on that cord. Im thinking the live ones will be a while.
The one tree bounced about 12' when it hit the ground. Like hickory, none of the limbs broke.

Reactions: 7acres
Status
Not open for further replies.