Beech from the Wind Storm

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
One good thing is this beech is just off the trail, came down Monday during the wind we had. Looks like most of this beech should be good but I'll get a closer look later this week.

Zap

Attachments

• 100_2788.jpg
    100_2788.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 380
  • 100_2789.jpg
    100_2789.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 367
  • 100_2790.jpg
    100_2790.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 373
  • 100_2791.jpg
    100_2791.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 380
Lots of work there, be carful.

I like cutting those Zap.

Backwoods Savage said:

I would rather fell in 40+ winds..lol I hate those gigs.

smokinjay said:

Smokin it should make for some nice firewood and I will take my time but it should be fine.

Zap

Backwoods Savage said:

Seems like all I do is cut blow down, but I'm not complaining. I went to go up top yesterday and when the rhino went up the trail then it flattened out we had a rotten old beech across the trail so I had to stop and back down the hill :coolmad: that was at the end of my trip and I should have a picture by Thursday.

Zap

zapny said:
smokinjay said:

Smokin it should make for some nice firewood and I will take my time but it should be fine.

Its kinda funny a 60 inch tree 120+ft tall I can see every cut (I just dont look up) I watch the back cut kerf. Thoes tangles scare the crap out of me.

Zap

smokinjay said:
zapny said:
smokinjay said:

Its kinda funny a 60 inch tree 120+ft tall I can see every cut (I just dont look up) I watch the back cut kerf. Thoes tangles scare the crap out of me.

I could have hooked up the cable to the deer in the picture to drag it down!

Zap

Zap,

I'm always amazed by all the blow down you have on your property. Either you have a lot of property so it makes it seem like more or you have some terrible soil. Either way it's a win win for you as you don't have to fell the trees. I can't remember the last time I had that luxury on my property as it seems like if I want it I gotta fell it in the middle of the woods and then it wants to get hung up as my woods are pretty thick. Enjoy

Looks good Zap

There's a whole lot of wood in that tree. Ya could use a excavator with a thumb for that one! I'm trading a guy some gravel for the 25 hrs of use of his excavator. Can't wait to get into the woods with it in two weeks. I did use it to dig a ditch to drain my gravel pit already. And it made short work cleaning up some brush piles.

215375_1552513187716_1681757389_996705_7657122_n.jpg

Billy

Billy good to have you back on here. Looks like you can do some real work with that machine.

Zap

smokinjay said:
zapny said:
smokinjay said:

Zap

Jay, just do the same thing and you won't get into trouble. Where folk usually go wrong is not knowing where the stress points are so are not aware which way the tree will go when cut.

Thanks Zap

I've been reading the forms just haven't felt much like posting.

Billy

We can understand why you have been feeling this way Billy. It takes time.

Backwoods Savage said:
smokinjay said:
zapny said:
smokinjay said:

Zap

Jay, just do the same thing and you won't get into trouble. Where folk usually go wrong is not knowing where the stress points are so are not aware which way the tree will go when cut.

Multi weight shifts is where I need to walk away...I bet you, living in the woods you have seen this on a daily bases. Two trees intangle or more is a art form...imo I would give it one shot with the winch if that didnt work I am gone. Felling a tree I can drive a tack swing a leaner 180 degrees the other way (rigging of course) houses barns garage fence lines you name it no problem.lol

Well, we've done pretty good on these over the years but we have had to winch a couple. Not many though.

The deer in the first pic is priceless, "find another one Zap, I found this first". I hate working side slopes and winch every one of those.

Backwoods Savage said:
We can understand why you have been feeling this way Billy. It takes time.

+1 . . . Hang in there Billy . . . can't say as I know how you feel . . . but it's something I am sure I too will experience sometime in the future.

certified106 said:
Zap,

I'm always amazed by all the blow down you have on your property. Either you have a lot of property so it makes it seem like more or you have some terrible soil. Either way it's a win win for you as you don't have to fell the trees. I can't remember the last time I had that luxury on my property as it seems like if I want it I gotta fell it in the middle of the woods and then it wants to get hung up as my woods are pretty thick. Enjoy

Same here . . . I see very few blowdowns where I cut . . . or they're all half rotted softwood . . . rarely any of the good stuff.

Cowboy Billy said:
Thanks Zap

I've been reading the forms just haven't felt much like posting.

Billy

Billy I can understand that, just don't let those walls close in on you. Some therapy from the Hearth.com members might help some, it helped on this end.

Zap

SolarAndWood said:
The deer in the first pic is priceless, "find another one Zap, I found this first". I hate working side slopes and winch every one of those.

When I showed up the deer was eating the tops of the wild leeks (only up about 1.5 inches) once the leeks get stronger they will stop eating the greens.

Zap

Thanks Dennis, Jake and Zap

I'm doing ok. Just a lot of stress trying to get things taken care of that we can't do yet until we some paper work back from the state. And the price of gas that keeps me from going to the farm and out of the woods. But the grass is starting to grow so soon I should be able to leave my horse here for long enough to make a trip UP north worthwhile.

But I did have a good day yesterday cleaned up all the broken branches in the yard and had a bonfire.

217375_1555847831080_1681757389_1000337_3028446_n.jpg

Blue purple and pink
Sky's
Behind the black silhouette of trees
The Dancing flames and red coals
of the fire
At day's end

Ok so ya know I ain't a poet

Billy

Cowboy Billy said:
Thanks Dennis, Jake and Zap

I'm doing ok. Just a lot of stress trying to get things taken care of that we can't do yet until we some paper work back from the state. And the price of gas that keeps me from going to the farm and out of the woods. But the grass is starting to grow so soon I should be able to leave my horse here for long enough to make a trip UP north worthwhile.

But I did have a good day yesterday cleaned up all the broken branches in the yard and had a bonfire.

217375_1555847831080_1681757389_1000337_3028446_n.jpg

Blue purple and pink
Sky's
Behind the black silhouette of trees
The Dancing flames and red coals
of the fire
At day's end
lol, Not Bad!
Ok so ya know I ain't a poet

Billy

NOT Bad!

smokinjay said:
Backwoods Savage said:
smokinjay said:
zapny said:
smokinjay said:

Smokin, send your GF I'm sure she will take care of that beech without any problems! ;-P

Zap

zapny said:
smokinjay said:
Backwoods Savage said:
smokinjay said:
zapny said:
smokinjay" date="1302714709 said:

Smokin, send your GF I'm sure she will take care of that beech without any problems! ;-P

She has been doing all the stacking! SWEEEEEET!

Zap

Status
Not open for further replies.