Beech question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Big Chris, I cut a few 3 inch round pieces up. It was very heavy and it has taken all summer just for it to open up on the ends and lose some weight. So, after watching it dry all summer. I'd say this one is a year. I got a 75 footer that is 20" diameter to get this winter to burn next winter

Medium dry time. Next years pile I'd say.

Reactions: ScotO
1 year should do it, if off the ground split, in sacks with good air circulation.
2 years never hurts at all, if you can get that far ahead & have the room for it.

I figure at least 1 year six months. Maple and birch are one year wood for me and if I push it can burn in about 9 months. Try burning beech in 9 months and all it does is hiss.

I'd give it at least a year . . . possibly a bit longer for better results.

12 months and you should be fine. Good stuff. You'll like it.

Beech is one of my faves. It burns long and hot, but like others said it holds moisture, so give it at least a year cut, split, and stacked. Also makes great hammer and hatchet handles, that is some dense grained wood...

I've always given a minimum of a year to dry the beech. Two years is ideal.

Status
Not open for further replies.