Been a good first year. Looks like I'm going cold, now.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pr0vidence

Nov 11, 2007
south central CT
Greetings all.

It's been a great first year with our Rainier. We have had warmth and comfort in our home that we never knew was possible. Mid 70's temps day and night. Walking around in T-shirts, instead of the usual heavy sweaters and lap blankets. But, alas, all good things must come to and end, right? A quick survey of what's left of my wood pile shows I have about 1-2 week(s) of wood left. Unfortunately it looks like I'm going cold about half way through Feb. Next year will be better, I burned (not sure if I intend the pun or not) through too much wood at the beginning learning how to use it properly. So that's about it. Thanks everyone for listening to my n00bish whining all season.

Anyone in South-Central CT feeling charitable? :-D

it will take a year or two to figure out how much wood you need on average. Things vary all the time. I need at a minimum 4 cord but 5 is way better. Every heating season is alittle different, some years it seems to turn cold in fall and you start earlier than you would predict, some years its stays colder longer in the spring so thats different. One year my wife was home on maturnity leave for 6 weeks in Late Feb and early april and being home every day she really chewed throught the wood. I typically have evening fires right through the first week of May!

When the wood is about to run out, I think it's a good idea to save at least 4 days worth for emergencies. You never know when there will be a power outage.

Woodford said:
When the wood is about to run out, I think it's a good idea to save at least 4 days worth for emergencies. You never know when there will be a power outage.

Those are some wise words. Thank you.

What?! You don't have any wooden furniture in the house? :lol:

BB - You can't break into the wooden furniture until march! (I think I remember saying that last year :)) I'm just halfway through my shedload..

good luck in gathering next years wood pr0vidence...in the mean time there's an interesting thread here on using a pellet basket for heat. Just in case.

Woodford said:

Amen, to this statement. A few years back an ice/snow storm went through in late April and power was out for 4 1/2 days. I only had some kindling left and started burning wood cut the previous fall. It was not pretty.

Status
Not open for further replies.