Been a while since I cut up pine

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gzecc

Minister of Fire
Sep 24, 2008
NNJ
Man cutting up a blue spuce makes the MS 290 seem like a hot rod saw. I'm used to hardwoods.

Cuts easy but makes a mess though, I cut and split some the other day, had sticky sap all over me.

Same here - after deal with a lot of oak in Feb, cutting up a big white pine in the last few weeks had the saw cutting like a hot knife through butter. Also got a little tired of the pitch - had to keep two pairs of gloves going - one for tools and one for wood. Cheers!

I carry an extra rag or two when we do pine jobs. When we're done for the day, a swig of gasoline on the rags goes a long way in helping get that pitch off of the saw. I wipe the saw (and even my forearms and hands sometimes) off. Yeah, yeah....I know gasoline isn't good for your skin, but I gotta get that pitch off right away or else it's everywhere!

Don't forget that simple Miracle Whip will remove that sap from your skin super fast and extremely easy. You might have to sneak it out of the refrigerator but like the old commercials for Brylcreme (spelling), a little dab will do ya.

I forgot about the sap/pitch. This was a blue spruce and it didn't have any. I do remember other pines having all sorts of sap, but this one didn't.

Don't forget that simple Miracle Whip will remove that sap from your skin super fast and extremely easy. You might have to sneak it out of the refrigerator but like the old commercials for Brylcreme (spelling), a little dab will do ya.

I'll have to try that for hedge sap , This stuff's like glue .

Man cutting up a blue spuce makes the MS 290 seem like a hot rod saw. I'm used to hardwoods.
I split a large Blue Spruce last week. It came down in a storm last Spring and I got it cut into rounds but not split. No sap so I was wondering if laying for a year dried it up? All stacked so I'll burn it next Winter in the shop stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.