Been awhile..............

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, yeah- been awhile since been on here; been thru another craftsman but now am the proud poppa of a Stihl 251. I can only ask myself why I waited until now after having been thru the low pro semi- chisel chain, the Oregon bar and diamond chain. This thing chews and chews, what I'm thinking in the back of my mind now is about sharpening; am I better off taking in to the dealer(not really a fan of machine sharpening) or investing in/ reusing my bastard file setup that I used on the craftsman. Anyone else have an MS 250/ 251?

I get the impression that a lot of members here hand file very little or not at all. My recommendation is that you not be one of them. Learn to hand file. It takes practice. YouTube it. Watch about a couple different videos. Practice.

Full chisel will cut faster than semi-chisel. Semi-chisel has a reputation for keeping its cutting effectiveness a little longer in dirty wood before the need to sharpen.

'round here we think of it not that the semi-chisel (we call them "round bit") keeps it's edge slighty longer, rather we think of it that full chisel don't hold up at all cutting anything but standing or newly felled trees.

I get the impression that a lot of members here hand file very little or not at all. My recommendation is that you not be one of them. Learn to hand file. It takes practice. YouTube it. Watch about a couple different videos. Practice.

I'm filing and finding it rewarding. If I take the chain(s) to town I'm lookin' at a week turnaround time.............

I hand file til they need to go in, usually 10- 12 sharpenings. I'll say hickory is the worst on chain I've cut and have found that after awhile it's time to throw them in the scrap pile.

I hand file til they need to go in, usually 10- 12 sharpenings. I'll say hickory is the worst on chain I've cut and have found that after awhile it's time to throw them in the scrap pile.

Cool- i'll keep up on that, knowing what I know now I'm looking at resurrecting my craftsman. Question is- would a bar from a poulin pro fit the craftsman? I'm thinkin' to go back with the Oregon I think semi- chisel lo pro it was called. Keep the cratsman around for the lighter stiff...............

Sounds good I'm getting a small echo for my daughter(cs310) if she doesn't like it'll be my limber

Sounds good I'm getting a small echo for my daughter(cs310) if she doesn't like it'll be my limber

Ahhh the motivations...............

Cool- i'll keep up on that, knowing what I know now I'm looking at resurrecting my craftsman. Question is- would a bar from a poulin pro fit the craftsman? I'm thinkin' to go back with the Oregon I think semi- chisel lo pro it was called. Keep the cratsman around for the lighter stiff...............
I don't make any promises, but I bet its a direct fit.

This is the best saw I've ever had, but am too finding issue with the oiler.

What kind of oiler issues are you having? Earlier you said it had an adjustable oiler which is news to me. How do you adjust it???

What kind of oiler issues are you having? Earlier you said it had an adjustable oiler which is news to me. How do you adjust it???

I was mistaken to conclude it's an adjustable oiler, watching the video it turned out to be a Farm Boss 390. I looked all over with glee only to find that I don't have the adjustable oiler. With that- It'd be nice to have a little more oil..........

Status
Not open for further replies.