Been stacking and moving lots of wood over past 3 days and need wood ID please..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

raybonz

Minister of Fire
Feb 5, 2008
Carver, MA.
Been very busy past 3 days moving wood into the shelter then stacking outdoors for 2012-2013 and beyond.. Have wood stack pics (stacks are 5' tall, one is about 25' long other about 12' long and 2-3 rows deep) and need a wood ID on what looks like maple but has reddish layer of bark near wood.. Wood is quite heavy and dense with no discernible smell.. Is this maple. red elm or something else and is it good firewood?

Thanx,
Ray

Attachments

• 2011 03 23 001 (Medium).jpg
    2011 03 23 001 (Medium).jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 476
  • 2011 03 23 002 (Medium).jpg
    2011 03 23 002 (Medium).jpg
    232.9 KB · Views: 442
  • 2011 03 23 003 (Medium).jpg
    2011 03 23 003 (Medium).jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 455
  • 2011 03 23 004 (Medium).jpg
    2011 03 23 004 (Medium).jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 451
  • 2011 03 23 005 (Medium).jpg
    2011 03 23 005 (Medium).jpg
    209.1 KB · Views: 458
raybonz, I cut plenty of downed sugar maple and never ran into the red tint in the bark so I'm not sure. Nice job on the stacking and just getting it done, when did you lose all your snow?

Zap

zapny said:
raybonz, I cut plenty of downed sugar maple and never ran into the red tint in the bark so I'm not sure. Nice job on the stacking and just getting it done, when did you lose all your snow?

Zap

Thanx Zap lost the snow a couple weeks ago but we are supposed to get snow tonight ugh.. I have alot of Honey Locust and White Ash in those piles and man my back is sore lol..

Ray

raybonz said:
zapny said:

Zap

Thanx Zap lost the snow a couple weeks ago but we are supposed to get snow tonight ugh.. I have alot of Honey Locust and White Ash in those piles and man my back is sore lol..

Ray

I have one of those back projects coming up, we have almost four cord that I stacked in a holding area last year that I'm thinking about moving to the area that we used the wood for this year.

Zap

zapny said:
raybonz said:
zapny said:

Zap

Ray

I have one of those back projects coming up, we have almost four cord that I stacked in a holding area last year that I'm thinking about moving to the area that we used the wood for this year.

Zap

I just wanted to get it over with especially if we get snow tonight! It's a lot of work for sure because I handled about 6 cords over a 3 day period and I am glad it's over! Tomorrow I go back to work for 3 fun filled 12.5 hr. days and hopefully it'll be quiet there.. It will definitely will be physically easier my work tends to be more mentally tiring..

Ray

Thinkin Cherry. Burn a little piece and smell it. Cherry is unmistakably sweet.

mywaynow said:
Thinkin Cherry. Burn a little piece and smell it. Cherry is unmistakably sweet.

The bark looks much different than what the cherry have round here plus the wood is very light with a grain like maple.. The outer bark is more brown/gray with a red layer nearest the wood.. The wood is rather heavy and some of it was fairly moist which may account for the weight..

Ray

Here we go again Hi Ho!

Won't guess on wood ID based on those pics. I will say I like that woodhauler; just picked one of those up myself. I need to put a plywood floor in mine.

That is a sure sign of Soft Maple for a lumber inspector!

midwestcoast said:
Won't guess on wood ID based on those pics. I will say I like that woodhauler; just picked one of those up myself. I need to put a plywood floor in mine.

Yeah I love that lil wagon! It can take lots of weight with no problem.. I added a scrap piece of 3/4 plywood to the bottom to protect most of it.. Tires hold air real well too..

Ray

nrford said:
What's a sure sign?

Ray

looks a bit like the native hemlock
is the bark shredding in long strips sometimes, too ?
lots of little branch knots ?

billb3 said:

Bill I didn't notice lots of little branch knots or the bark shedding in strips.. It's a mystery to me..

Ray

Good for you Ray on getting the wood stacked but you have me stumped on what it is. Certainly not like any soft maple I've ever seen.

billb3 said:

I was thinking that too with the first close up pic . . . but the second close up pic doesn't quite look the right type of bark.

I was thinking that if this has taken Ray 3 days then I really do have to get out there to show him a faster way....

firefighterjake said:
billb3 said:

I was thinking that too with the first close up pic . . . but the second close up pic doesn't quite look the right type of bark.

Eastern white cedar ?

I have had wood exactly like that, but a long time ago.
Like 1964-67 drought that wiped out all the hemlocks on top of gravel hills here long time ago.

Haven't cut down a large full grown hemlock or cedar for a real long time.

One of those two can be quite red underneath with rather white wood and somewhat stringy bark.
I just can't remember with certainty which one , if either.

Both will grow in sandy soils and in the swamp although hemlock really doesn't like it's feet wet all the time like cedar. lots of swamps were turned into bogs out that way .....

raybonz said:
nrford said:
What's a sure sign?

Ray

A little red in the bark, if you have hard and soft mixed that is one quick way to be sure of the specie!

Flavo said:
I'm new so pardon my ignorance. You said that wood was for next winter. Will the double wide stack like that allow enough wind to dry the wood enough for burning in 6-8 months from now?

Not next winter, the one after that one..

Ray

Looks like silver to me....just got done stacking 1.5 cords of it.

billb3 said:
firefighterjake said:
billb3 said:

Eastern white cedar ?

I have had wood exactly like that, but a long time ago.
Like 1964-67 drought that wiped out all the hemlocks on top of gravel hills here long time ago.

Haven't cut down a large full grown hemlock or cedar for a real long time.

One of those two can be quite red underneath with rather white wood and somewhat stringy bark.
I just can't remember with certainty which one , if either.

Both will grow in sandy soils and in the swamp although hemlock really doesn't like it's feet wet all the time like cedar. lots of swamps were turned into bogs out that way .....

Definitely not eastern white cedar . . . bark is all wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.