Beer Thread!! just for....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not sure where the "made for Americans" part comes from. They were making beer for 250 years before America was invented. It has been made the same way the entire time.

Yeah, they were small local breweries in that time before refrigeration and easy transportation, though, not national level breweries. In fact, if you go back to their pre-Victorian days, Hacker brewery was only a seasonal brewery.

My statement was based on having worked in Germany for several years, and being a fan of these brews long before that time. I was never able to find any German who drank Hacker-Pschorr or Paulaner. They mostly seem to stick to their local brews, although they all know Lowenbrau, Stuttgarter, Weinstephaner, and Erdinger.

Reactions: jharkin
From their website:
Our Oktoberfest Amber Märzen is the amber colored version of the traditional Hacker-Pschorr Oktoberfest Märzen. The Original has firmly established itself at the Munich Oktoberfest and meanwhile wins out against the traditional Märzen.

Sounds like the German market is well established. Dunno. If you go to the bars around here, you would think Bud light is the "King of beers". ;lol;lol Whereas we know there are better beers brewed all over the place.

From their website:
Our Oktoberfest Amber Märzen is the amber colored version of the traditional Hacker-Pschorr Oktoberfest Märzen. The Original has firmly established itself at the Munich Oktoberfest and meanwhile wins out against the traditional Märzen.

Umm... psst... Jags... I was talking about the Hacker Pschorr / Paulaner hefeweizen... NOT their Octoberfest:

Weihenstephaner makes a very good hefeweizen... much better than the Paulaner and Hacker-Pschorr product, made more for Americans than for Germans.

jharkin said:
Anyone who likes Sam October owes it to themselves to try the real thing. Spaten, Paulaner, Lowenbrau, etc (plus some others Ive never seen here in the states like Hacker-Pschorr)..​
Spaten and Hacker-Pschorr are widely available in my area. Drink a Hacker Pschorr October and you will push the rest away.

We were all talking about October - where did you get lost? ;lol;lol

(Honestly I didn't pick up on that;) ).

Reactions: Ashful
We need to examine this question in depth. Hearth field trip to München....... :cool:

I've studied up on all the German I need to survive over there...."mehr Bier bitte".

Let's roll.

EDIT: I think I'll just have that screen-printed on a T-shirt so I don't sound like some goofy foreigner.

Reactions: jharkin
We're on a beer kick. I just now am drinking from my first hombrew corney keg and kegging beer is way better. The keg is full of a "men's room red" clone and is delightful. Funny thing about drinking from kegs is that you can't keep track of consumption.

The fridge is full of some oddball ales, mirror pond pale ale, sierra nevada pale ale, and portland brewing's mac amber. Starting to get to beer drinking season again.

OK so we need to overkill (tm) this research I think. Start in Muenchen, then tour the rest of Deutschland, take a detour to visit some monks in Belgium, then on to a pub in Eire, then.....

Wonder who can we get some research grant funding from. This is critically important science here <>

Do our forum points have a cash value? If so I'll donate my 803 to the cause.

I've been drinking some Leinies this summer (Berryweiss and Summer Shandy) and just tried their Oktoberfest. I could get use to that Oktoberfest beer!

Like Ronnie VZ said; be a simple kind of man. Once the evenings get into the 50s, the Lager gets supplimented with the Black and Tan, and some scotch.

Reactions: DevilsBrew
Ice, water, straight up or all of the above?

I like my single malt neet. And with my eyes closed. Because if I see it coming my mouth waters and dilutes it.

Just sampled a new one for me- Ten year single malt "The Laddie". First taste was good, but I was cooking and the flavor was affected by the food. Overall seemed just fine. It was that or Glenlivet and I felt like trying something new. Nice looking bottle too. Somewhat smokey and a bit of peat.

BroBart... any favorites to recommend? I started years ago with The Macallan... but the 12 year is not phenomenal, and the 18 year on up is way too expensive. I enjoy both the 12 year ("Double Wood") and 15 year Balvenie, so that's what I've been buying the last few years.

On the beer tour... I'll skip Munich, but join you guys for Belgium and Bavaria!

<-- would be a Trappist Monk for the beer alone, if not for the vow of Celibate Chastity

Reactions: Thistle
I've been enjoying Pop-up IPA. It's a session beer from Boulevard.
The Octoberfest beers are good but I just can't get used to the pumpkin beers.

Great beer selection in most all local grocery chains around here,plus a couple specialty shops.Very lucky to have 1 of those stores just 3 blocks north up the street.

Over 150 brands including 70+ imports including Spaten.Hacker Pschoor,Warsteiner & all the Belgian ales including Duvel,Westmalle etc.Plus a French bakery/café,tattoo shop,cheese/salame/wine shop,oils/vinegar shop & barber shop (haven't been there in 12 yrs:p) in 80 yr old mini shopping center 1 block south....

If they open up a brewpub/restaurant in that vacant space.....I'll just forward my mailing address there & walk down every day ;)

Reactions: Ashful
go ahead and call me a feline.....but I like this Angry Orchard Crisp Apple stuff.....
For now, that's what I'll get fuzzed on. It doesn't twist my stomach up like some of the hoppier beers. I will be watchin' this thread for some good fall brews....what should I look into fellas?

Reactions: btuser
go ahead and call me a feline.....but I like this Angry Orchard Crisp Apple stuff.....
For now, that's what I'll get fuzzed on. It doesn't twist my stomach up like some of the hoppier beers. I will be watchin' this thread for some good fall brews....what should I look into fellas?

We used to call cider 'training beer' in school :p

In all seriousness, try some of the oktoberfests mentioned are a good start. I'm not a fan of hoppy bitter varietals like IPAs and ESBs, but I love Oktober. Also try some good wheat beers. Hooegarten is good, Weihestephaner, or for more local something like Harpoon UFO.

Reactions: ScotO
Status
Not open for further replies.