Beer Thread!! just for....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I got home last night from 16 hours on airplanes and found this in the fridge.

I love my wife :) :)

IMG_20130915_084619.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yuengling Light is the only beer I stock. Yuengling worked so well as a marinade on the pork ribs that I picked up some beef ribs. Can't wait to test it out.

The other two beers I favor are Guinness and Sol (with a lime wedge).

Let me add...there is nothing like being in a dive pub in the wee hours ending the night with a Guinness and a cigarette. (I don't even smoke)

Where is Joful today?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1379523814.635560.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
What? Nothing? Do I need to double the prize money?

Yep... Dublin. I'll drink one to you tonight, Jeremy!

Reactions: jharkin
Very nice.. Last week I could a posted a photo of a Tsing Tao on location but that's not as fun. Enjoy it over there... Maybe you'll run into some of my long lost ancestors!

Reactions: Ashful
If I keep drinking the way we did last night, I'm positive I will. Who has the aspirin?

Tsing Tao? Very exotic! How's the beer, though?

I like three kinds of beer, Domestic, Imported, and FREE!! I was a service rep for a beer distributor for quite some time and got to try all the products we were selling(over 80 diffrent micro/import brewerys, and one of the 3 houses in the us with both miller and AB). It was a fun job for awhile. I heard that joke and the "my cars right over there" joke when delivering, everyday. For the sake of the beer guys sanity, refrain from the "my truck/car is over there" joke. I used to start getting it at 6am and wouldn't stop all day. Lately with the cool nights I like a shipyard pumpkin head with a shot a vanilla vodka in it.

Tsing Tao is bleh.. Very lite but its about the only option for a 'local' when I go to Shanghai. Same with Kingfisher when I go to India. Its been ages since work sent me to Europe but I do remember tasting lots of good ones when I got to go to the Volkswagen engineering training center in Wolfsburg back in '04.

BTW are you there for work or pleasure joful?

Heh... work, of course! This was a last minute thing, quick in and out. No time even for sightseeing, as I left wife, infant, and sick child at home.

Tsing Tao is bleh.. Very lite but its about the only option for a 'local' when I go to Shanghai. Same with Kingfisher when I go to India. Its been ages since work sent me to Europe but I do remember tasting lots of good ones when I got to go to the Volkswagen engineering training center in Wolfsburg back in '04.
Yes, that is typical of a lot of Asian beers. They tend to like light lagers, hard whiskey is often preferred to beer. And forget their wine, though a good sake is nice.

When my son and I were in Europe last we had some extraordinarily good brews in Vienna and Budapest. Most were local brews served at their big markets. One was the best bock I have ever tasted. No label, they just referred to it as Joe's brew or something like that.

Last edited:
Reactions: jharkin and Ashful
In the fridge this week...

View attachment 109735

Maredsous Tripel
Westmalle Tripel
La Trappe Quadrupel
Weyerbacher Blithering Idiot
Grimbergen Dubbel
Affligem Blonde
... and the obligatory for any life-long Pennsylvanian...

View attachment 109736

Stopped by the distributor today, and didn't even think to check for the pumpkin ales, yet! Oh well, like I needed an excuse to go back. :lol:
How is that blonde? I may have to look into it. I'm not really into heavy, dark beers. More of lager and pilsner guy.

my personal favorite is free beer.... and lots of it.
All summer I've been drinking Hamm's. Love it. And love the price, $12.99 for 30 pack, can't beat it. Don't tell anybody or it will become overpriced like PBR did.

How is that blonde? I may have to look into it. I'm not really into heavy, dark beers. More of lager and pilsner guy.
Not bad, but not one of my top choices, either. Also, it's hard to find it fresh in case form, so if solids floating in your brew is a turn-off, I'd avoid that one. The Maredsous Tripel (also in that photo) is likely a better choice for one who is interested in dipping his toe into Trappist style ales for the first time, as its probably the best Tripel / triple under $100/case I've ever had. Also, that Grimbergen Dubbel, while dark in color, is very light and sweet in flavor. This can be said of most traditional Dubbels. They're all worth a try, if you can find single bottles, or a local pub catering to these beers.

If you want to stay domestic, there are some fantastic Belgian style ales from Allagash, and even Victory. Allagash Curieux is world-class, but usually fetches $100 for six 25 oz bottles, around here... a wee bit expensive for daily use, but nice for marking a special occasion. Allagash Tripel or Victory Golden Monkey are both good, but I can typically find the Maredsous (above) for less than Allagash Tripel.

4am Dublin time... can't sleep!

Not bad, but not one of my top choices, either. Also, it's hard to find it fresh in case form, so if solids floating in your brew is a turn-off, I'd avoid that one. The Maredsous Tripel (also in that photo) is likely a better choice for one who is interested in dipping his toe into Trappist style ales for the first time, as its probably the best Tripel / triple under $100/case I've ever had. Also, that Grimbergen Dubbel, while dark in color, is very light and sweet in flavor. This can be said of most traditional Dubbels. They're all worth a try, if you can find single bottles, or a local pub catering to these beers.

If you want to stay domestic, there are some fantastic Belgian style ales from Allagash, and even Victory. Allagash Curieux is world-class, but usually fetches $100 for six 25 oz bottles, around here... a wee bit expensive for daily use, but nice for marking a special occasion. Allagash Tripel or Victory Golden Monkey are both good, but I can typically find the Maredsous (above) for less than Allagash Tripel.

4am Dublin time... can't sleep!
I've had the Allagash White in Washington DC and in Chicago.

I've had the Allagash White in Washington DC and in Chicago.
White is their attempt at a German Weiss beer. Very weak, like any Weiss, but obviously popular. Allagash doesn't do anything bad, but try to find their Tripel or even Curieux, if you want a real treat!

Another good domestic option is Three Philosophers (Quadrupel) from Ommegang. Very sweet, and a little unusual, but one of my favorite occasional beers.

Had some Angelweiss in Vienna. It was ambrosia, very light and floral.

:mad:

Main reason I like it is because I have a gluten allergy. It ain't TOO bad, but some beer just tears my stomach up.....big time....
That Angry Orchard is gluten free and tastes like one of my favorite fruits.....apples....

Just need to add some Fireball or Cinerator (my favorite) to it and kick it up a notch. My wife is the same and drinks cider due to it being gluten free, every once in a while I am able to snag one of hers to make an Angry Balls.

As for me, the darker the brew the better, 7%+ ABV with a low IBU preferred, infused with coffee adds brownie points.

A local place makes the best beer I have tasted in a long time, a beer with a slight wine hint at the end, hard to describe.

Menagerie 8

Evolution’s Menagerie Series is an assorted creation of one offs that will (probably) never be seen again. Numbered in sequence, each release is a unique beer. They are usually (but not always) oak aged and often (but not exclusively) blended. Our current Menagerie, No. 8 is an Ale brewed with wildflower honey, belgian candied sugar, and aged in red wine barrels.

Beer Profile:
ABV: 9.5%
IBU: 30
OG: 23

Status
Not open for further replies.